Thread: Laptop HDD replacement

Laptop HDD replacement

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 w/P111 500/600mgh cpu and a 12Gig HDD running XP. I've maxed out the drive and want to replace it with a 40 or 60 Gig drive and move all my stuff (including the OS) to the new drive. Dell tells me a replacement will be close to $300....Unbelievable!! Anyone know a better solution----- including how to move all my stuff without paying Bill Gates for unlocking the OS on a new HDD?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Dell is full of it.I replaced my 6GB 4200rpm laptop HD with a 30GB 5400rpm one for $120 a year ago.ClickHere

They are all interchageable.Your bus will take this one though.

Edit;As far as moving your stuff you can just copy with you cdrw providing you have one.And as far as installing an operating system from your(I'm guessing)recovery cd you can try it on the new one.Usually,the pc manufacturer will tag the HD so that the recovery cd won't work in another hd without it.You can always buy an oem copy for about $90(XP Home),and that's still only $176 including the drive.
    Last edited by zipp51; March 29th, 2005 at 02:05 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...blan/70khu.pdf

Use that guide. Follow the steps to #5. That shows the procedure for removing the hard disk. Be careful to either ground yourself on some metal or use an anti-static wrist strap.

Another thing you could try, is to ghost your hard disk now. Put it on CDRs or DVDs depending on the writable drive you have, then install the new HDD, and run the ghosting software to restore the system on the new Hard disk.

I am not sure if the above will work. It's a theoretical. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us on this matter to be sure.
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 29th, 2005 at 04:13 AM.

Ghosting works. The computer technician does that for the computers because it will take too long for him to reinstall everything and set it up. The school uses Norton Ghost and it works really well although its really slow. He says he just leaves it to run which takes hours since the files are highly compressed onto just 1 4.7GB DVD disc. The ghosting software runs through DOS easily.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Thanks

Thanks for the help, Guys. Nice to know there are folks out there that are willing to help us ordinary users who, at times, feel they are at the mercy of companies like Dell....... their solution to my situation seemed rather excessive to me. The price they wanted for their solution was out of my league. Believe I'll try it your way. Will let you know how things turn out.

Laptop HDD Replacement

Took your advice.....went to Drive Solutions and replaced the 12 Gig drive (4200 RPM) that came with my Dell with a 40 Gig (5400 RPM) ......also bot the EZ Solutions transfer kit. Followed the instructions and was up and running with absolutely no glitches!! At half the price Dell wanted. Again... thanks guys. Roy

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    Took your advice.....went to Drive Solutions and replaced the 12 Gig drive (4200 RPM) that came with my Dell with a 40 Gig (5400 RPM) ......also bot the EZ Solutions transfer kit. Followed the instructions and was up and running with absolutely no glitches!! At half the price Dell wanted. Again... thanks guys. Roy
    Glad to hear it is sorted. I am sure you're pleased. Why give your hard earned to Dell when you can do it yourself?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    sweet upgrade dude...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---