Thread: ASUS A7N8X and RAM (which to get)

Arrow ASUS A7N8X and RAM (which to get)

Well im in the market for some RAM.
    Found out i've been running PC2700 which is fine, but not up to the MB's capability so ill be dumping my Kingston RAM over to my aunt and switching over to Corsair.
    My question is which RAM to get?
    I would like minimum 512, but tempted to get 1G, but not sure which to get in terms of the type, meaning, Value RAM (again, which seemed fine) or the XMS from Corsair, the premium stuff
    Im not a heavy gamer by any means, really only play 1 first person shooter game online, and that's it, otherwise, im strictly a surfer and school stuff, documents.
    Im gonna do a search, but would also like first hand response/replies, thanks in advance guys & gals.
    Been reading in the threads that there have been some problems with Corsair and the deluxe model of my A7N8X...is this something i should be worried about?
    Thanks guys

i just purchased an asus a7n8x-x mobo and 3 sticks of 512 corsair pc3200 value select ram for a buddy's pc to upgrade, and man, am i wishin i did some further readin on what i was gettin. i figured that where the ad for the mobo said each of the three slots for ram were able to handle 1 gig each, i was safe getting three 512 sticks. when i got the board and read the actual manual, it says the chipsets would only support 2 banks of 3200 or 4 banks of 2700. now, me, i figure that means 2 or 4 'sticks' but then i got to readin some o the faq's on the asus site and someone asked about that. the answer was the 'banks' were the panels on each side of the stick of ram, so i'm only gettin support on one double sided stick of memory. then i find out the three slots are unable to take advantage of the dual channel option if the three sticks are all the same size. i can either have slots 2 and 3 filled with identical sizes, with slot 1 left open, or i can fill slots 1 and 2 with a total of what is in slot 3. in other words, i could run all three sticks for a total of 1.5 gig of ram at single channel speed or two sticks for a total of 1 gig of ram at dual channel speed. i ended up buying the third stick from him and puttin it in my pc at work. hell, i was in need of more ram anyway. i've done some readin also at this, and other forums, regarding the corsair value select and it seems divided 50/50, so if you wanna gamble, take a shot. if you wanna be sure, lay out the bucks and get the premium. i say, read, and read some more. be sure you've covered all the angles if you don't wanna be surprised by some unknown, unadvertised parameter. ~s

You have two choices in life: you can stay single and be miserable, or get married and wish you were dead.
    - W.W. Renwick

well there is a correction, i have the A7N8X-X like yourself Santino, or i mean your friend.
    i guess ill lean towards the PC3200 XMS series afterall, but like you said, ill read up, definitely.
    a lot of this techno babble is, just babble to me, still got that huge learning curve, but i think i understand what you were saying.
    lol i hope, that is...lol

ya, one o the techies on this forum, fastgame, sent me a link in this thread http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14545 on the 22nd. it really helped me out. you can check things out there, too, but the guys here really are on the other side o the learnin curve. me, i'm just breaking ground. good luck. ~s

Sex drive: A physical craving that begins in adolescence and ends at marriage.
    - Robert Byrne

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yup fastgame gave me that same board that I'm still using. damn thing is a workhorse. but if you update your bios to the latest revision. it should help. but I've noticed from building them that kingston, corsair, and mushkin I personally have not had an issue with regardless if its the hyper-x or the value stuff. If I'm not mistaken the latest bios is 1008 or 1009. the update is mainly for the new sempron cpus.

phishhead's right, the latest bios flash*, 1010, is only for the sempron cpu's. if you're going to use an amd athlon xp, the board should ship with the 1009 bios that it would need. (not tryin to sound too intelligent here, but i just went thru it and that sticks in my mind... check back next wk, i'll have forgotten it all) ~s

Happiness is good health and a bad memory.
    - Ingrid Bergman

*[edit] = 1010
    Last edited by santino; March 29th, 2005 at 16:03 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I got some Crucial Ballistic 2(512mb)PC3200 for my A7N8X mobo and it's running dual channel.Works really good on this board.This same ram is recommended for the Abit AV8 for Athlon64"s.If you go to the Crucial memory site you can get matches of all types of their ram for most of todays boards.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Im not a heavy gamer by any means, really only play 1 first person shooter game online, and that's it, otherwise, im strictly a surfer and school stuff, documents.
    Just get some good PC 3200 thats listed as compatible with your MB. All the brands mentioned so far are fine and checkout PQI, Im a Crucial type

1gig makes everything easier, no such thing as software being a memory hog with 1gig....

BTW if you buy some high end ram & OC your system you'll be able to do your "school stuff" faster and have more time to goof off (

lol
    guess ill be overclocking then thanks 4 the tip lol

I had 2 "Crucial CT6464Z40B 512mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 ram" in my asus a7n8x - x board

worked great

few pobelems getting them working dual channel in my new asus A8X board tho