Thread: I need help with server

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

I need help with server

OK, I couldn't find help at Technet on this matter. I know there must be, but I am just so dam horrible at to using Technet still
    OK, here is my problem. I am hoping someone knows about it or run with this problem before.
    WE have a domain, and the IP schematic is that they use static IP. This company had 14 IPs and they almost used all of them. They got 2 new systems, and I installed them in the system. I also got a new subnet mask to add more IPs.
    Until here all great. I changed all the subnet mask, and all PCs were working fine. The 2 new PCs replaced 2 olders models, but one of this old models we moved to another office and another person is going to use, inside of the network. This PC use Windows 98. When I logeed in as the new user, I went to change the user name for the Exchange server and there is where problems begin [Nice introduction ]
    The PC can see all workstations on the network, but cannot conect to some. The Domain controller runs Windows 2000 Server. I can access the Exchange shared folders, but Outlook cannot conect to the Server. This happens with the PCs that were replaced. I took a look at the Active Directory for users and Computers, and I saw that there is no record for the computer. All other computers appear, but not this one. If I create a record in Active directory, it will still not work, beside the new PC register automatically. Any suggestion what to do??
    tip: the domain controller doesn't belong to my company, so I have to touch it the less that I can.
    Thanks!!!!

Humm, is that complicated my problem that nobody has a suggestion???
    Well, I will still be waiting

I WILL GIVE IT A GO................

What network topology are you using on your LAN DHC? Tell us a little about the network please...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If I were you I would reformat the two older PCs that are going to be used by different users. Then set then up on the network. It might be that the old information IE subnet masks, IP's etc.. is still be held onto. Also you would get rid of any junk and might make the client PCs run more smoothly... IMO.
    Is your domain all the same name on all machines. I dont have much experience on a large network, but I manage with my 4 PCs at home all running on a DHCP server.

For the outlook issue running on the terminal server, try this site for assistance:
    http://www.slipstick.com/config/terminalserver.htm

What version of outlook are you using?

For help with an exchange based server, you might give the following site a look:
    http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Article...partmentID=839

Hope that helps,
    if not let us know and we will see what we can come up with.
    BB

I was using Outlook 2002. The Outlook problem I fixed in that computer. Apparentely the network jack didn't work well. What I can't understand why I could conect to the drive, but not to Exchange.
    I still have problem with the new PCs though. They have new IPs that weren't assing to any PC before, since I expanded the IP's range. This new workstations have problems accessing a map drive. If I go thru Windows explorer and I can access the drive perfect from everywhere for half of the day more or less. After some hours it is like the Authorization certificates expire or somthing, but the PC has to be restarted, which is pretty strange. After ....... Got to go I will update it later

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I am sure you will track it down. It seems strange that it works for a while then stops working and you have to restart the PC. Have you double checked all of your network settings on the two new PCs? Have you tried assigning them different IPs?
    Have you checked the certificate authorization in the network connection properties?
    BB

Originally posted by Big Booger

Have you checked the certificate authorization in the network connection properties?
    BB
    Connection properties on the host or the client machines??
    I guess you mean the clients, yes I checked.
    Also I saw that the server has some viruses, and one of these can only be deleted the affected file, so we will be contracting somebody else to clean the server since it is not part of the contract we have, and honestely I don't want to be responsable for it because I know somethig will go wrong (besides beign the domain controller is the Solomon and ADP server).
    I am thinking to ake the guy who will come to take a look at it.
    I just have to wait unil my boss comes back to authorize this
    Not good when your boss goes on vacation for 3 weeks and leave for you a hell of a network. We don't have a VNP yet, so I have to concentrate into developing one now. I am sure I will have interesting questions about it And this is a network with 3 domains and around 100 PCs, so it is busy as hell to work with
    TKS, servers are a pain in the $^#$* (neck) but they are interesting to work with