Thread: lsass.exe..Wont Boot no windows

Question lsass.exe..Wont Boot no windows

Ok i had my xp pro computer on while i was at class,..got home, it was in an infinate boot loop,...i was like ok...

i have been working on this for about 10 hours strait...ok heres the deal

before it would just freeze up till the loading bar at windows logon.
    i went into reapir windows thing on xp cd and i did fixboot i did the scan things and it fixed some things ran for about an hour...then i got the registry thing to popup,..the one thats built into windows that checks it for errors if u dont shut it down right..after it did all that it finally tells me when i boot the the lsass.exe bla bla bla is bad.

did some reasearch but i cant figure out how to fix it.

i do have the xp cd.
    i downloaded a removal exe but when i go to the command prompt through repair it doesnt open it,..it said it doesnt know the command,..
    i cant go through safe mode cause i get the lsass.exe error and all i can hit is ok and it reboots.

i just can not seem to find a solution and i know there are alot of lsass.exe topics here,..just not to what im lookin for.

again,
    i have the xp cd
    safe mode gets lsass.exe error (ok button only) then restarts
    last known config get the error as well...im desperate,..i got so much school work on this its unbelieveable,..not to mention a ton of stuff for this magazine..

i do a DIR in command and all my files are still there,..so i think its good there..but..i just dont know what to do..

and i tried to replace my boot stuff,..i replaced it all in my c:\windows\system32 and system ..didnt work,..

im gonna do this, im gonna beat it haha.
    any help at all would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    -tim
    Last edited by Tim507; March 31st, 2005 at 23:52 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Ok, sounds like you have the classic LSSAS exploit virus problem...

Read EggHead's Spyware Thread http://techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9739 It wont help now, but good ideas in it

Now, disconnect from all networks and internet... start PC in safe mode, and do virus scan, are your definitions up-to-date?? Delete or clean any infected files...

Next, install Service Pack 2 for XP (recommended) or get a friend to download and copy to USB disk HOTFIX: KB835732
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-011.mspx

Also, if the Shutdown message appears (if you can get into windows)

type "shutdown -a" in the command prompt or run dialog box

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

i cant get into safe mode,...i get the dialog before i can even get into it...i boot in safe mode,..then i get lsass.exe - unable to locate component
    "This application has failed to start because" then it gets cut off...

also...i tried to do a repair,..and it loaded all the drivers it needed,..restart my computer like it normaly would and i got the installation screen for xp...it starts at 39 minutes but cant continue because the dialog opos up there too.....and the installation stops...

now every time i start my computer it try's to refinnish the install grr help please

now i get this......windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt... \windows\system32\config\system

this is due to me having to cancel the instalation because i got a dialog lsass.exe and i could only hit "ok" please help

Sorry to say dude, unless other peeps got a better idea,

your installation might be toasted...

try booting with XP CD, get into recovery console... type sfc /scannow /fix
    ... this should try to fix damaged XP files.
    also check out
    http://www.compphix.com/windowsfileprotection.html just for some info (not totally relevent)

Else, time for a reformat

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Angry

Ouch! Definitely sounds like you had your ls"ASS" exploited! So safe mode doesnt work AND no bootable windows disks will get you in neither will a clean install? Cant say that anything but reformatting your PC would help...

I would make sure that when you are up and running make sure that you download the latest SP (service pack 2) which supposedly fixes the LSASS exploit hole...the symptoms sound like you caught the sasser worm or a variation of it...one of the biggest symptoms is an infinite reboot....

sorry im not much more help...
    <------->Bubba<------->

When booted to recovery console delete/rename the lsass.exe in c:\windows - that's the dodgy one, reboot - fixed.

And enable your firewall before you re-connect to the interweb.
    Last edited by Curio; April 2nd, 2005 at 08:42 AM.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Ok.. I had this exact same problem as Tim507. I took out the bad drive and switched it to a slave then I threw it in another machine running XP. I then booted up with no problem and I now have access to the bad drive. All files are intact. I am going to try now and run virus check, etc. and try to repair (I will post my results in a few) but at least I can now back up all info from the bad drive and then go from there. Hope this helps! Good Luck

No Viruses Found!

Ok...no viruses found so I don't think that is the problem. Still playing around. Defragmenting bad drive and copied lsass.exe from good drive to bad. will let you know what I find.

Dont forget to patch your XP

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thumbs up Got It! Already Done

Ok no viruses found and was unable to save drive in the time I alloted for. So instead of turning a 2 hour job into 20 (Ha!) I decided since I could get access to bad hard drive from another computer I just did a backup and then reformatted bad drive and reinstalled os plus the backup files. All is well, lost no info and if I would have done this in the beginning I would have saved precious hours but I wanted to try and find a fix. So for future knowledge if anybody wants to try and find the fix , good luck, but if you want to save time then follow my earlier post. Good fix to a crazy problem. Take care and thanks for everyone's post here. It was beneficial!

-DeadDaze

It is not compulsory to start every post with - OK - as far as I know.
    Or is it?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    uh, yes?

OK - my bad.