Thread: Is there a way?

Is there a way?

Hello guys another day anotherr question.heres the deal.

A while back i purchased an EPOX-8K9A socket A mobo for use i a freinds system.Upon recieving the board and trying to install it we ran into a strange problem.

The PC would start up,but no display would come up on the monitor not even the systems post or bio's screen.The monitor just seems to stay in standby mode.After we couldnt solve this problem we tested all the same hardware on my MSI KT4AV mobo and everything works fine.

After contacting the vendor i purchased it from they fowarded me to EPOIX tech support who made some suggestions but nothing yet fixed this problem.and worse of all EPOX wouldnt replace/repair it.so now i have this board that i cant use.

after reading around a few OCing forums i ran into a thread with a dude that is having a very similar problem.He was able to fix the problem by "hotflashing" the board bios.

now this may be noobish but i am totally unfamiliar with hotflashing.all i know is if i understand correctly you can take the bio's chip from another mobo which doesnt have to be exactly the same,just similar in specs to get the damaged board working again.

Is this correct?and if so do you guys know the best way to go about this.I was also wondering if there is perhaps a way to update the damaged boards bio's through another PC in some way.Thanks in advance and i look foward to all answers.

Right now i have nothing to lose with this board so im looking to expieriment alot just to gain knowledge in hopes of getting it working

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    All you need is another board that uses the same bios chip. You put the new bios & flash utility on a floppy. Then boot up the board with the good chip and when it boots to the floppy you pull the bios chip out of MB and replace it with the bad chip and flash it. When the flash is done you turn off the PC right before it boots back to the bios (tricky) then replace chips.

Of coarse its easier if you have the same MB so you can just let it boot back up and don't need to replace chips

You can send the bad chip to http://www.badflash.com/ and get any bios you want for $24.99
    Last edited by FastGame; April 2nd, 2005 at 05:50 AM.

Damn FastGame you seem to know a hell of alot reguarding all aspects of a PC lol.Just one question before i go through buying a new chip or actually two questions.

#1)could a bad Bios chip cause the no video problem?Id hate to pay for a new chip and still cant get any video throught the AGP or PCI slots.

#2)I have an old ATI rage pro gfx card which has a bios chip that is identical to the one in the EPOX mobo,could i put that chip in the mobo and overwrite the gfx card bios with the mobo bios?i was thinking about this but am not sure if it will work so figured i should ask

If you bought a new board that doesn't work then they must replace it so send it back. There is no way of telling which part is no good, although it may be the BIOS a dead board could be due to other components. Hotflashing the BIOS is usually only undertaken when you know you killed the BIOS by a bad flash.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    If you bought a new board that doesn't work then they must replace it so send it back. There is no way of telling which part is no good, although it may be the BIOS a dead board could be due to other components. Hotflashing the BIOS is usually only undertaken when you know you killed the BIOS by a bad flash.
    Wish i could but they already told me they wont take it.I ordered it from a vendor called action computers who sells new and used parts over ebay.Thing is they only allow 7 days after purchase to return it for a refund if the board is DOA.so now im stuck with it.I then contacted EPOX who also will not replace it even though i have proof of purchase,warranty documents ect.

Never again will i order from them.

In the UK it doesn't matter what they say or what they write - if they are a trading company everything they sell still comes under the Sale Of Goods Act so must be fit for purpose etc... Maybe you have a similar law? Ask someone that might know.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks Curio im gonna research into this law more and see what i can find