Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus Software

Anti-Virus Software

Is there a good one out there?

I think I have tried them all about now and quite frankly I am unimpressed with any of them. No doubt you pretty nearly have to have at least one. Some detect more problems than others and some are less intrusive to the system they are installed upon. Not one detects them all which is ok that is why there are updates.

My issue with them all though is when the solution to the virus, malware, adware, spyware is so intrusive as make the system they're installed upon almost worthless, I would rather live with the threat than a solution.

For eaxmple:

Kaspersky's av product is chowing down over 35% of CPU on a permanent and constant basis.

Panda was chowing down over 80% of my CPU constantly and made logins following a boot a 20 minutes exercise in patience.

Sophos was not even worth the used up bytes on the drive and made using windows explorer a real issue with a nearly 5 minute wait on EACH mouse click!

BitDefender was an out and out joke and made traversing the internet painful at best with 10+ minutes waits for even my INTRANET sites.

Norton? Would not even find the BASIC issues.

I would go on with more but I am quite frankly sick of the "solution" to the problem.

I have tried ALL of those and many, many more on even a freshly installed system. Why can't these product be less instrusive to my system?

I am a software developer with over 30 years experience and just can't understand why these products have to suck ALL my resources ALL the time "protect" me.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by cmillens; April 7th, 2005 at 15:35 PM.

Titanium Member
    First of all cmillens, Welcome to Techzonez!

Have you tried the new NOD32 beta
    Here's download: http://www.nod32.com/download/downbeta.htm

Resident CPU use:

Running on demand scan (CPU varies but never 99%):

On demand config for this scan (yes, I'm taking screenshots and posting this with 54 processes running while scanning and don't even notice any drag(amd xp2000 w/1gb pc2700 ram)

Among more features here's the basics:

New features:

Kernel

* Adware/Spyware/Riskware detection
    * Potentially dangerous applications detection
    * Generic detection of the most common threat families
    * Improved scanning of self-extracting (SFX) archives
    * Early Warning System1
    * System startup file check
    * License manager
    * Windows XP Style dialog windows

On-demand scanner (NOD32)

* NTFS Alternate Data Streams (ADS) check
    * Improved profile customization
    * New command line parameters
    * Information on file from which the memory infiltration originated
    * Improved file specification by mask
    Last edited by lynchknot; April 7th, 2005 at 19:40 PM.

Thank you - glad to be here. I am hopeful that I can contribute at least a little to community here. I have derived so much from it already - seems fair that I return the good deeds.

Actually, believe it or not, NOD is not one I have tried. Off to snag the beta and begin testing!

I will post back results within a day or so ... THANK YOU!

Do you really think anyone would use these products if they made you have a 20 minute logon, 5 minutes per click, 10 minutes per webpage? Of course they wouldn't. Whatever your problem is I don't recognise those symptoms and I have used all those products.

What is your PC spec?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Titanium Member
    You see my PC spec. I gave up on KAV and Avast. Boot times were extended beyond patience and resident protection would not allow me to use computer normally.

KAV is murder I can agree with that.

Titanium Member
    You've got a PM curio that may interest you.

Sigh ...

Hey there Curio.

Presently I am using an ASUS A7n8X-Deluxe mobo with a 2800+ CPU and 2 GB's of DDR400 RAM. I'm using the SATA Controller on the board for my 2 300 GB HDDs with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro vid card (Omega Drivers rock!). I use the NVidia built-in NIC since the 3Com drivers have serious issues but am considering acquiring a Gb NIC since I prewired the house with CAT 6 when we built it. This is my personal play box. At work I use a dualie XEON 3.2 GHz Intel board ... bloody dogs there won't lemme get a REAL machine!

My work box at home is an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium with an LGA775 P4 CPU at 3.6 GHz and 2GB's DDR2-533 RAM with 2 300 GB SATA Drives and an NVIDIA nForce Professional 2200 PCIX video card.

Wife gets the Athlon 1.7 and the 1.6 and the daughter gets the Althon 2600+ since she's more a power user than the wife. Son is 3 so he get the ancient Duron I had in the dark ages ...

Since I am behind an F5 BigIP 540 Router and a Sidewinder G2 Security Appliance I never bothered with the av crap on the actual boxes but lately with the advent of more sophisticated intrusion methods and the Wife's and Daughter's continued insistance on downloading EVERYTHING they find on the net and running it without even considering that it could present a problem not only to the data they have on their machines but the servers and not to mention my personal livelyhood as a senior software architect. I am constantly working on 4 or more products at once.

Yes, perhaps I exaggerated a tad on the boot delay but when you're used to logging in in meres seconds (my windows workstation used to boot in under 3 seconds and NOW? - don't even ask! I hit shutdown/restart and go get some coffee and play with my son before I can USE the box again and THIS install is only 2 weeks out!), waiting even a few seconds is a significant bother. I am used to blasting around my network here and even an added 1 second delay feels like an eternity. Context menu delays are ridiculous (yes, I tweak everything with windows for even the millisecond.) And, I have little to NO respect for the latest trend in software - BLOATWARE. I mean really! Does it hoenstly take 20+ megs to run some stooopid anti-virus program? Kav is currently eating up at least that much! MS? Office blows into 1.2 GB's after install and that's NOT with the 100+ megs in updates you HAVE to have to just to keep safe from the bozo's out there trying prove they're more of a man than some dingle-berry at the grade school down the street!

---- BEGIN RANT

I am an old time coder used to grabbing the CPU registers by the butt and SQUEEZING every last speed glitch I can from them. For example: the decrement instruction on Intel CPU's have a slightly lower time cost than does increment but with nearly ALL the software I see anymore it's for( i = 0; i < n; i++ ) instead of the other way around and it pisses me off no end. And don't even ASK about the optimizations the compilers take - some are good, most are junk and almost NONE will reverse that to attempt optimization. In fact, anymore on the C++ code I do I'll take the compiled code and decompile it optimize it by HAND then run it through an assemby compiler just cause I come from where waiting 5 minutes for transaction to complete can cost BIG MONEY with 2000 reps banging on it. If 2000 reps wait 1 second each 10 minute interval well that's 200 wasted minutes each hour or nearly 1600 minutes each 8 hour work day for a ripping 577 wasted hours each month. You see, I come from a driver background having developed the original G2 printer drivers and the Cirrus Logic video drivers (anyone remember them? ) back in the 80's and don't even GET me started on the NIC drivers - most are absolute JUNK ( Flaw Found in Ethernet Device Drivers @ EWeek and Testing Vendors Target NIC Performance Problems @ EWeek

--- END RANT
    Last edited by cmillens; April 8th, 2005 at 03:44 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmillens
    Hey there Curio.

---- BEGIN RANT

I am an old time coder used to grabbing the CPU registers by the butt and SQUEEZING every last speed glitch I can from them. For example: the decrement instruction on Intel CPU's have a slightly lower time cost than does increment but with nearly ALL the software I see anymore it's for( i = 0; i < n; i++ ) instead of the other way around and it pisses me off no end. And don't even ASK about the optimizations the compilers take - some are good, most are junk and almost NONE will reverse that to attempt optimization. In fact, anymore on the C++ code I do I'll take the compiled code and decompile it optimize it by HAND then run it through an assemby compiler just cause I come from where waiting 5 minutes for transaction to complete can cost BIG MONEY with 2000 reps banging on it. If 2000 reps wait 1 second each 10 minute interval well that's 200 wasted minutes each hour or nearly 1600 minutes each 8 hour work day for a ripping 577 wasted hours each month. You see, I come from a driver background having developed the original G2 printer drivers and the Cirrus Logic video drivers (anyone remember them? ) back in the 80's and don't even GET me started on the NIC drivers - most are absolute JUNK ( Flaw Found in Ethernet Device Drivers @ EWeek and Testing Vendors Target NIC Performance Problems @ EWeek

--- END RANT
    welcome cmillens.....rant on my friend, I enjoyed every word of it...especially the part about the NIC drivers.....previous member of the "Dell" family....God I hated issues that involved those drivers...used to drive me

I love a good rant. I believe a lot of the bloat in a lot of software is copy protection. A person as experienced as you probably doesn't need antivirus, you are antivirus. Something like ProcessGuard to flag up or stop new apps running would likely do enough for you.

Security and ease of use are opposites so you will always have a trade off and only you can decide what is acceptable to you. If you want something that does all that scanning but has no or little cost well it does not exist. Everything you run as you so rightly say has a cost to the system and even if it is small then over a large number of repetitions it can become significant.

Rant on - it's theraputic.
    Last edited by Curio; April 8th, 2005 at 15:24 PM.

Titanium Member
    As fastgame would probably say: one word - Raptor.

well the verdict is in on NOD and it's now removed from everything. What a nightmare. VS.NET couldn't get the web sites opened, browsers could not reach localhost - 3 times in 15 minutes the system just went completely south ... Sigh!

My search continues ...

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmillens
    well the verdict is in on NOD and it's now removed from everything. What a nightmare. VS.NET couldn't get the web sites opened, browsers could not reach localhost - 3 times in 15 minutes the system just went completely south ... Sigh!

My search continues ...
    I have to agree with u on NOD....same problems when I tried the demo....drove me nuts for a couple of hours B4 I dumped it....what a pain in the butt

Titanium Member
    Heh, I'm still running NOD32. I had a problem with a corrupt file that seems similar to your problem (could not get online) but fixed it. Here's my thread and fix: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=75249 Installing in safe mode fixed everything

Runs great for me now. As far as for my PC, it's the best AV out there. Many have similar experiences here: http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=73278 Perhaps it's conflicting with some app/driver or maybe a bad install.

*edit - I've got 11 Firefox tabs open, 53 processes running and I'm running an "on demand - deep scan" right now as I post this. I have no problems navigating to any site and do not notice any drag whatsoever.
    Last edited by lynchknot; April 13th, 2005 at 07:12 AM.

Platinum+ Member
    Can I use anything other than AVG along with Mcafee (and Kerio free/ZA Free) ?