Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving the Reset and Power switches on my tower

Moving the Reset and Power switches on my tower

If this is not a hardware issue, please move to wherever...General???

My tower sits in a section of my computer desk that was specifically designed for my tower. Space limitations force me to keep a wastepaper basket there and with my keyboard shelf extended it is awkward to get at subject switches.

How feasible/practical is it--what's involved--to move those two switches to, say, a convenient spot on the top of my desk?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Sure it can be done, however it will take a lot of effort. Why not check an easier alternative first.

When your computer shuts down does it power off automatically? It it does, you can put a power strip in a convienient spot and do your your shutdowns and restarts in XP.

If not, don't give up until you check BIOS settings to see if you can set the computer to totally power off on shutdown.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I'm not getting how you are viewing things. Yes, when I click Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn off, XP goes through its shutting down steps and then all power to the computer is killed. My tower connects to an outlet on the back of my UPS. To get going again, I press the power button (OFF_ON) switch as I mentioned in my first post. Right above the Off-ON button is the RESET switch.

Do you mean always leave the the tower's power switch in the ON position and then use a power strip with its ON-OFF switch (placed between my tower and my UPS) on my desktop?

If I'm correct, is this also implying I really don't need the Reset switch...I have rarely used it?

If my concept is incorrect, efc, please expand your idea.

wumply

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    If my concept is incorrect, efc, please expand your idea.
    wumply
    You would have to use the power switch on the tower to start the computer. After that it would not be needed.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Is it worth all the effort. Do you really need instant access to those switches.

Once you've turned on the machine its very rare that you will need to access the On/Off or Reset buttons again during that session.

Just my opinion.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Reverend: It's not that I want to turn it on again during a session. I turn it on when I get up and leave it on all day, shutting it down through XP (start > Shut down > Turn off) when I go to bed. But each morning I have to reach down around (or remove) the wastepaper basket to get at the tower on-off switch. I just want a on-off switch on top of my desk for ease in accessing it.

efc: Following your idea, I have set things up like this: The UPS plugs into the wall outlet. My power strip with switch plugs into the UPS. The cord from the tower plugs into the power strip. I turn the switch in the power strip to ON. And as you noted, I had to use the tower power switch this time to start the computer. It booted. OK. I shut things down through XP and my computer turned off (hard drive light and green "ON" light both out.). But I still had to hit the tower power switch to get my computer to boot...which I understood I would not have to do ever again.

????????

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Sure it can be done, however it will take a lot of effort.
    I suppose then, Rf controlled - solenoid actuators to press the buttons, would be out of the question....

lynchknot...why did you think it would be out of the question? Expense...problems of mounting actuators?

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    lynchknot...why did you think it would be out of the question? Expense...problems of mounting actuators?
    It's possible but the end result would be more easily accomplished by extending the wires to remotely locate the switches. Or you could get a better desk and/or reposition your computer (put a couple "books" under it?)

each morning I have to reach down around (or remove) the wastepaper basket to get at the tower on-off switch
    How about cutting two holes in the wastepaper basket in the position of the switches and inserting long dowels into basket - just push to activate switches -
    Last edited by lynchknot; April 11th, 2005 at 22:37 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    OR... why not enable Keyboard or mouse to turn on the computer... BIOS settings and hardware profile settings... then use XP shutdown to turn off... and press hotkey on keyboard to turn it back on

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    How about cutting two holes in the wastepaper basket in the position of the switches and inserting long dowels into basket - just push to activate switches -
    Now that is my kind of solution.

No to getting a new desk (too expensive) and no to cutting holes in the wastepaper basket, but you caused me to eye the switch position again, whereupon it struck me that I have a removable shelf above the tower. There are currently 6.5" of space above the tower. The shelf is used only for a box of printer paper which I need only occasionally, so I have now put the shelf in the bottom of the tower space and put the tower on the shelf, thus raising the computer/on-off switch up. (I'll keep the printer paper under the shelf or elsewhere.). I was able to raise the on-off tower switch 6-7, which has made it real easy to reach the switch, wastepaper basket not withstanding.

So thanks, lynch!
    =============================
    Cash_site. You sure had a neat idea...don't need it now, but may try it anyway simply because it IS so neat--and I love neat solutions. My thanks to you too.

wumply

Titanium Member
    hehe, you're welcome wumply. Cash, I don't understand how you can turn on the computer without power to the keyboard present.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    no probs wumply... just make sure you post pics of the new setup

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    hehe, you're welcome wumply. Cash, I don't understand how you can turn on the computer without power to the keyboard present.
    There is a bios setting, i think it has to do with S3 or S1 etc etc, in saying that, there is always some power going thru mice and kbs... sort of like standy in monitors etc
    Last edited by cash_site; April 12th, 2005 at 00:55 AM.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    my mouse lights up, when computer is off there is no light (optical) so I thought there to be no power. Perhaps I will lick the USB receptacle to check for power