Thread: New Laptop recommendations

New Laptop recommendations

If you had 3 Grand (plus or minus) to spend on a Laptop what would you recommend? My wife just bot a Dell w/17" screen (Inspiron 9300 w/1Gig RAM, etc----paid about 2800 bucks. Thot I'd do her one better and get a new one for myself....but my personal experience w/Dell is that they are a little pricey and there are probably better machines out there. We both use our Laptops wireless around the house....just surfing the Net and such. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Geezer

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Check this model.There are more to choose from. ClickHere
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I have a Gateway laptop (14.1), and a Toshiba (15.3 widescreen)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

I configged it with a 3.6GHZ chip, 1 gig of ram, the BETTER SCREEN [ Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in Camera - Xeno Grey - Includes Clearview Enhanced Display Technology [+222 or $7/mo.]], 60GB 7200RPM drive, and a DVD+-RW DRIVE for:

Area-51m 7700

* Exclusive Alienware Design and Color
    * Programmable Synaptics Touchpad
    * Built-In Microphone
    * High Performance Cooling System
    * Dual Smart Bay Optical Drives
    * Dual HDD Support with RAID
    * 7-In-1 Media Card Reader
    * Enhanced 4 Speakers + Subwoofer
    * Standard Smart Li-ION Battery
    * Dimensions:
    (W) 15.6" x (D) 11.7" x (H) 2.1 "
    * Weight ~ 12.5lbs with Battery
    * Performance Benchmarks Documentation
    * Personalized Owner's Manual
    * FREE Custom Alienware® Mouse Pad
    * Latest Qualified Drivers Installed
    * AlienCare: Advanced Technical Support

Was: $3,472.00

{that is with a 500 instant rebate}

You can configure it as you see fit, but you can get a really good laptop for around $3K.

If you hurry:

Mail-In Rebate: Purchase online now and save $99.00 off your Alienware system. Limited time offer.
    So it's an additional $99 off.

HERE's a good deal that you could nearly get two for at the price you set:

Brute Power And All The Extras!
    Acer Aspire AS1804WSMi Notebook PC:
    P-4 3.2GHz HTT, 17-Inch TFT, "g" Wireless...
    You name a feature---and the Acer Aspire AS1804WSMi has it. No other notebook gives you more for the price. We love the full gig of memory, it makes this rig fly. And the huge 17-inch display makes this a perfect desktop replacement. You can spend hundreds more and NOT get all the value that this machine gracefully delivers. For entertainment or productivity the dual-purpose Aspire™ 1800 fills the needs of home and SOHO users. This sleek, mobile powerhouse boasts a blazing fast Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor, an astonishing 1GB of DDR memory, a huge 100GB hard drive and 802.11b-g wireless connectivity. Its awesome multimedia features include a wide-screen 17.0" LCD, ATI® graphics and Aspire™ Arcade. This exclusive software suite lets you edit and author videos, view DVDs and videos, display and edit photo slide shows, record and play music and burn files onto CD or DVD discs.
    A very high tech and up-to-date laptop. The only area where it might falter is in the graphics card department.. but if you are not a serious gamer this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Last edited by Big Booger; April 13th, 2005 at 08:50 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Blasters worm farm
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    There's only a few companys that make laptops and everyone rebrands them

I hope some Alienware guy doesn't hate me for posting that link
    You can get the best laptop made and save a bunch of $$$ with some research, find a good reseller and build a custom one

What is a "Name Brand" laptop?

Platinum+ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Nice article.
    Is assembling a laptop at home as easy(for someone experienced) as assembling a PC?