Thread: Mouse not working?

Unhappy Mouse not working?

Hi all - this post might go better in the Win 98 section, but then I think it might be BIOS related, so I'm putting it here first.

I have an older machine I'm sorting for a friend. We put in a new (replacement) motherboard (ASUS P55TVP4) with a P200MMX chip (it used to have an old non-MMX SOYO board with a P75 chip in it) and 48MB SIMM RAM. It runs quite well for it's age, and is just the ticket for my friend. HOWEVER...

The whole system is going great except for the mouse - Win 98 refuses to acknowledge it's presence. I don't have any "loop" tester to verify that either of the COM ports are physically working, but Win 98 thinks that they are ok. I tried a brand new serial cable on both COM 1 and COM 2, but same result - that stupid message from Win 98 about no PS/2 mouse being found, so please plug in a serial one.

The thing that makes me think this is hardware is the BIOS. I had a look in the BIOS, and there is something in there about the PS/2 port on the motherboard. The keyboard is AT, but the PS/2 port can be set to AUTO or ENABLED - the manual says it can be set to disabled, but even after the latest BIOS update from ASUS, DISABLED is not an option. Currently, it is set to AUTO (I've tried ENABLED, but that doesn't help). So, it would appear that this might be the "fly in the ointment". That being the case, and the fact that there is no physical PS/2 port on the back of the computer (only the pins on the motherboard), is there anything else I could "fiddle" with in either the BIOS settings or Win 98 that would give me COM1 mouse control? I've tried re-installing Win 98 completely, but that didn't help.

This is a VERY annoying and exasperating little problem - PLEASE HELP!!!

Platinum+ Member
    Have you tried other mouses or the mouse on another computer?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    you have described an "AT" style motherboard and the mouse ports or serial ports are not physically connected to the motherboard aka "ATX - ps2" style. you will find the serial ports on the case or they will be mounted in a pci spot on the case. you will need to open the case and check the cables for the serial port. it is possible that the motherboard was installed without the cables connected or they might be reverse. you can set the serial ports in bios to auto.

let us know your results
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your responses.

tarun: yes to both
    egghead: sorry for the confusion - the serial ports are physically there and connected. The PS/2 port is on the motherboard only with no physical port. The COM ports are both "enabled" in the BIOS, but there appears no way to turn the PS/2 port off.

What next?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i just need to clear up any confusion.

Your serial ports are connected to thte motherboard with a cable for each one. You must check that the cable is on correctly and the red line is matched with pin 1.

Here is a pic of your motherboard.

:0183
    :ASUSTeK
    :P/I-P55TVP4
    :REV.1.5
    :Intel:SB82371SB
    :SB82437VX
    :S82438VX=2
    -----------||
    -------

The above pic shows me that the serial connects will be right behind the keyboard connector. there are two connectors for 2 ports. look at the arrow
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that is correct - both serial ports are connected to the pins you indicate with the red strip on the cable matching with pin 1 on the motherboard. The PS/2 connector is directly "below" the AT keyboard connector on the pic you supplied: it's hard to make out, but it's there.

As I mentioned originally, this seems as much a BIOS problem as physical, although it could be that both serial ports are NBG (seems a bit unlikely considering the rest of the board appears fine). I downloaded a MOUSE.EXE program yesterday and ran that under DOS (after booting onto a Win 98 startup floppy). The driver is able to be "directed" to look specifically for serial mouses by typing "MOUSE SER" at the command prompt: it reported none found!

Next?

chuck it in the bin and get a new pc

Have him buy a PS2 mouse...

patio.

cheEboy: that is not helpful at all
    patio: he has a PS/2 mouse - the PS/2 port has no cable connecting it to "the outside world"

Update:
    I have managed to scrounge a PS/2 port cable with face plate, but it is the wrong pin configuration. I am off to the local electronics store to buy a soldering iron to try to remedy that. Will post back on the results.

IF it turns out that the board is a dud, of course I will throw it out and get another. However, I think our landfills (even here in New Zealand) are quite full enough of "thow away" computer parts without me adding to it unneccesarily...

This is an update to say that the soldering job on the PS/2 connector was successful. I now have mouse control. It is still puzzling about the COM 1 & 2 ports, and wonder how I could verify that the port are working? I suppose it is unlikely that anyone will need the ports in the future, but it is annoying not knowing what the problem was / is. At least I have the mouse sorted now...

Lastly, if anyone is ever looking for the pin assignments for a PS/2 port, I found them at:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ps2-add-on-cable.htm