Thread: ICQ Users (of 2003b) Need help with sending a url address

ICQ Users (of 2003b) Need help with sending a url address

I use XP and Firefox.

Before Firefox I used IE and when I clicked "send web page address (url), the url of the site on my browser was automatically placed in the spface for it in the pop-up titled : "Send offline web page address." I would then click "send" and off it went.

But now with Firefox the url does not get automatically entered. (I can type it in though and send it--if it's not too long--but what a bother!!)

I've no idea if this is a Firefox problem or an ICQ problem. Can someone suggest ideas as to what I can do? I tried contacting ICQ techs, but their answer was not productive. They wanted me to go Start > Settings > Control Panel, click the Internet Options icon, select "Programs" and see that "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser." was checked. Well, it was. The next step was to start Explorer and when asked if I wanted it to be the default browser, tell it "No". Then start my (FF) browser and click "yes" when asked if it was to be the default browser."

Well, I never got asked if Explorer was to be the default browser OR if Firefox was to be the default.

So what can I try?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Before Firefox I used IE and when I clicked "send web page address (url), the url of the site on my browser was automatically placed in the spface for it in the pop-up titled : "Send offline web page address." I would then click "send" and off it went.

But now with Firefox the url does not get automatically entered. (I can type it in though and send it--if it's not too long--but what a bother!!)
    Hi wumply, I don't use ICQ so maybe I shouldn't be answering, but why do you need to type any URL ? wouldn't it be easy & fast to Copy & Paste ?

Since there's not a responce from any ICQ users I'll download the thing and see if I can't figure it out

I never used to need to type the url in with IE. I only do so now, because since I replaced IE with Firefox, the url does NOT get entered automatically. The procedure was even quicker than copy and paste. You were at a site; you wished to send that site to an ICQ contact. So you right clicked on the contact's name, selected "send web page address (url)". clicked " send" and that was it.

You were at a site; you wished to send that site to an ICQ contact. So you right clicked on the contact's name, selected "send web page address (url)". clicked " send" and that was it.
    Ok but I don't have any contacts so can't get that option How about if you highlite the url ?

This thing is really bugging me, my firewall is going crazy

I need to play with it more, maybe it doesn't work with FF ????

Re highlighting...didn't work. You can use me as a contact. I think that my user name: wumply and my ICQ #: 19865462 will be what you need to get me on your contact list. I think it should work with FF--I mean I have no trouble sending messages back and forth with my son in NJ. My suspicion isthat something is amiss in my ICQ or XP or FF...pretty good 3 possibilities, wouldn't you say? It covers the field!

Ok your on my contact list but you need to authorize me, hurry because I don't like this thing It wants to connect to a hundred things and I don't want to make a hundred rules for my firewall and I'm tired of all the popup warnings...

BTW when I click on your name I still don't see the option to send URL

You are listed in my contact list. I will send you a short ICQ msg to confirm. If I right click on your fname on my lit, up comes a pop-up entitled "FastGame followed by your ICQ #. Below that, the 1st. 3 entries are: send message, send mail, and send web page address (url). When I then click on the 3rd. entry, I get a 2nd. pop-up titled "Send offline web page address (url)". Below that (near the top of the pop-up) is a long white bar called: "web page address (url). When I was using IE, the address of the web page I was at was automatically placed in that bar. Then all I had to do was click "send.

In my ICQ msg I will send you a url (which I WILL HAVE typed IN.)