Thread: Failure on Startup

Failure on Startup

Hello.

I just acquired an AMD Sempron 2800+ Processor and a PCChips M825G-series Socket 462 Motherboard with 512mb of PC3200 DDR RAM and 256mb of PC2100 DDR RAM.

I am installing my old hard drives (two Quantum Fireballs, a 10gB HD with the OS and a 40 gB storage) in addition to an old CD-RW (random Asian model).

I managed to get the motherboard and processsor and RAM all installed, and plugged the HDs into it. After configuring CMOS to boot off of the primary (10.2gB OS) HD, I started everything up. It ran through the basic checks, saw the processor (@ 1200mHz, but that's another thing...), the RAM (all there), detected the hard drives (primary and slave), but here's where it got weird:

It hung for a second and then tried to network boot. After disabling "Boot from other devices", it quit the network booting crap and went immediately from the Hardware check screen to a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left. And that's where it hangs.

Is my drive shafted or what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you do a clean install of your OS ? its not going to work if the old OS has different chipset drivers.

What OS are you using ?

The first thing I would try is removing the stick of PC2100 memory. You could have a memory timing issue. Besides, If all of the memory is working properly the PC3200 has probably slowed down to accomidate the PC2100.

Also make sure that the pin settings for primary/slave are set up correctly on those drives.
    Last edited by efc; April 13th, 2005 at 15:21 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Yeah efc makes good points

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I had the same problem with my last build just a few weeks ago.....pissed me off so bad that I just did a format and clean install....I think it was as FG stated about the MB chipset but I was unable for some strange reason to get the info off of the new MB software....was a bummer but better off with a fresh install.

You could also try introducing one drive at a time. Make sure the 10G is jumpered master and at the end of the cable on IDE1. Remove the other drives. I've been able to do this after swapping a MBoard out with 2 or 3 re-boots and then add the other drives 1 at a time.
    But as fastgame stated it will not always work.

patio.

If your using Win XP and change MB/chipset you can do a XP repair, it works without clean install.

if your reload of the os went ok, but you see a blank screen with the cursor in the upper corner, it may be related to a mismatch in the ram speed. do you receive beeps from the pc after the post? if so, count how many, and whether they are long or short. you'll also have to know which bios you've got, so watch the screen during post and see which you have, ami, award, or phoenix, then go to here and check the reason:

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research.
    Wilson Mizner

**[edit] i just found this thread:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2966

and realized i was sending godspeed to a link that didn't include the ibm codes also. not only that, there is a fairly good size amount of other helpful assistance to be found there, too. nice link, egg. following in kind, i too have bookmarked that site. tx. ~s
    Last edited by santino; April 16th, 2005 at 21:00 PM. Reason: add'l info