Thread: Norton type question

Norton type question

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Norton Internet Security 2005.
    But i am wondering if there is a seperate free program, that does the same thing as the part of Norton.
    That blocks confidential information getting out onto the internet?
    As i want to find out if there is, before i spend out on Norton.

Thanks.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    That blocks confidential information getting out onto the internet?
    I would think that most of the Free Firewalls would prevent that except maybe cookie control where info on sties you visit is divulged, that can be controlled other ways.

I've never used Norton Internet Security 2005 so I don't know exactly what it covers, the AV part is one of top ranked.

IMO for FREE the combination of Avast! HE Anti-Virus and NetVeda-Safety Net will do an excellent job, hard to beat even if you pay $$ for something.

NetVeda isn't as easy to setup as Nortons push button wizards but it not hard if you read the help files.

[edit]= If you want there's a bunch of good people at TZ that will help you setup one of the safest PC's with free software, providing you want to get to know the seperate programs.

If you want to just push a couple of buttons and not be bothered then buying Norton Internet Security 2005 would be a wise choice.

Or use a free AV and buy ZoneAlarm Pro or Outpost
    Last edited by FastGame; April 14th, 2005 at 03:20 AM.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    I am not bothered about the push button options, as i want to stop the code numbers for Windows going out of my computer.
    As in Norton i could block personal information, such as name, address and ID numbers.
    And i sort of miss that function now.

At the moment i am using Avast Anti-Virus Free and Zonealarm Free.

Gary