Thread: what do the cl and cas designations indicate

what do the cl and cas designations indicate

i was looking at some corsair memory earlier and i noticed a few different selections when i dropped in my filter entries. one was VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail and the other was VS512MBKIT400C3 512MB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS3 Value Select Memory Retail

anyone help out decipfering the CAS2.5 and CAS3 also saw one that said CL3

one other thing, is it necessary to have something like this ram
    TWINX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory

as opposed to this ram
    VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory

to take advantage of the dual channel capability of a mobo ? tx in advance. ~s

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
    - John Powell

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    santino sorry I didn't see this earlier

Cas 2.5 is a bit faster than Cas 3 but not much. Cas 3 would need somewhere around 5-10mhz increase in FSB to match the speed of Cas 2.5. Don't quote me on this because things might of changed and I'm going off (play on words) my memory. Your not going to see the difference between the two with your eye's unless you look at a benchmark...

All ram is tested by Manufactures and graded. The most important is ram needs to operate error free within certain spec's. In your example Corsair stands behind the Cas 3 to be error free at that rating and same for the Cas 2.5. The Cas 3 could very well run at Cas 2.5 without errors and same for Cas 2.5 at Cas 2 but your on your own and Corsair can't be blamed if it doen't work.

On systems with onboard memory controlier (MB chip) the ram latency is added to the to the onboard controllers latency. Faster ram Cas 2/2.5 can/may offset the memory controllers latency and provide better performance. On AMD A64 the onboard controlier was eliminated and moved on-die (CPU), this made things much more efficient and the ram lantency became a bit less important.

For the average PC user Cas 3 is just fine, for the Overclocker trying to squeeze every last bit of performance fast ram timmings make a world of difference, more room to play with.

The biggest problem I see now a days is normal PC users buy good performing hardware then latter on they decide to be overclockers, most cases its the ram that they get strapped on.

My motto overclocker or not, always buy the best power supply and the fastest ram your budget allows....this seems to make it through a few upgrades and saves $$$ in the long run

BTW Dual Channel packs vs Single sticks ? go with what ever cost the least

xlnt explanation, fg. tx for the reply. i did call the asus tech supp and got the answer to the dual channel ram capabilities, tho. he said that so long as the essentials matched, the mfgr, size, speed, latency, ecc,... and they were placed in the proper slots, i should have no trouble getting a dual channel setup. that was my main concern, since this friend isn't going to be doing any oc'g. i just wanted to get him the best performance for his standard setup. understanding the cas and cl meanings was just my curiosity. tx. ~s

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    - Mark Twain