Thread: What to do with old PC's which is worthless...?

What to do with old PC's which is worthless...?

It's more of a pain in the ass to get rid off of old computers by selling them than the money they are worth.

So still keeping my PIII 450mhz pc i thought about using it as a media server in the house.

But not to sure what i'll need to buy to have a wireless system running in the house. Predominantly i would like to play MP3's through my Hi-Fi.

What upgrades should i make on my home stereo [which is like a 1996 model] to make this happen.

Thanks

A friend of mine is using Creative's Wireless Music.
    You can get a set on amazon for about $180.

The way this works is it uses your computer as a server to run all of you mp3s from any room in your house.
    This option will require you to have a wireless access point and USB on your pc.
    The is one of the most comfortable set-ups i've used by far.
    Friend has 3 sets in kitchen, living room, and bedroom.... As long as your pc is on you can controll everything with the remote provided by creative.

2nd option is scratching the wireless set and just putting the computer somewhere by the Hi-Fi and connect via a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Suggestion for the old computer.

Take it apart and store the following for future use.
    Power supply (if it is at least 300w size)
    Screws of all types.
    Hard Drive
    CD or CDRW
    Mobo battery
    Memory

Now you can throw the case away. The components take up a lot less space than keeping the whole computer.

You never know when you might need a replacement for one of these components. You also will run into friends that need something.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Suggestion for the old computer.

Take it apart and store the following for future use.
    Power supply (if it is at least 300w size)
    Screws of all types.
    Hard Drive
    CD or CDRW
    Mobo battery
    Memory

Now you can throw the case away. The components take up a lot less space than keeping the whole computer.

You never know when you might need a replacement for one of these components. You also will run into friends that need something.
    lol.. thtats just about where i am with one of my computers. except i still manage to find uses for it put together and running every so often. lol.