Thread: routers

Silver Member

routers

um this will be an easy answer hopefully....i know u can hook 2 routers together by way of a crossover cable.....what ports are u supposed to put the cable in and are the routers supposed to be the same brand?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you dont need a cross over cable at all just plug it into a open port....and in the config just use your routers IP address that is connected to the modem for the default gateway in the other router

Silver Member
    well heres the thing me and my friends get together every now and then and hav a lan party because well were 16 and we can do it more easily and shit now that we can drive...my friend has a dlink wireless with 4 ports on it and i just have a regular 4 port router....ive tried putting an ethernet cable in an uplink port on one router and in an open port on the other ive tried putting it in both uplink ports ive tried putting it in an open port on each router but it doesnt seem to work...and we dont use internet so the internet modem doesnt mean anything.....i just cant seem to get it to work and was wondering if i was doing something wrong

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    cheap alternative is to buy a 4-8 port hub and plug it into one of the ports. This way all you guys are on the same subnet and you've just increased the amount on the network by however many ports the hub has minus 1.

You might want to make that a switch instaed of a hub, switches are dirt cheap and will provide better performance.

Badger