Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: display tab missing & system restore not working

display tab missing & system restore not working

hi guys..just got this problem...well yesterday while i was using my pc...suddenly the desktop wallpaper changes to some blue coloured notice...it says something about my system is infected by virus,spyware and trojans.I also realised that my when i right click my desktop/display properties,
    it shows only 2 tabs(screen saver and settings) all the other tabs is no more.
    i've scanned my system with norton antivirus and found some viruses and cleaned them,but the the problem wasn't solve.I also noticed that my system restore feature is also not working.I'm using win XP professional.Somebody help me please.

OK can you say what virus they were ie there full name ie win32/netsky.d@MM is what i am looking for teh ones You found

Did You update teh virus checker to the latest definitions so all know virus are detected? If Not do so now and re-scan, make notes of teh virus names

Are You running Spyware? If so what one, can it be updated?
    If so update and re-scan noting any messages 'spys' it finds we can work from there.

Remember killing a virus is fine but in most cases damage has been done that has not been repaired and in most cases these changed are registry related.

jiuk

Thanx for the reply Jack..well my antivirus is regularly updated and i also been using spybot search&destroy anti spyware utility..the virus name that you request is Downloader.CDT and Downloader.Trojan..some spyware cannot be remove from my systems using my current anti spyware software..the spywares are: DyFuCA.InternetOptimizer,ExactAdvertising.BargainsBuddy,ISearchTech.IST scv,ISearchTech.Powerscan,ISearchTech.Slotch

as a piece of advice, always use a firewall especially if you have a static IP.

ok i'll do that...thanx for the advice

Not what you will want to hear but Spyware Doctor seems to do the best job, unfortunately it isn't free. Worth the expense though.

The spyware's gone..but the display tab and system restore still not function

I have the exact same problem (the blue screen with trojan message and the missing display property tabs). I ran multiple anti-virus and spyware softwares, and my system seems to be clean. However, the display properties still only has the Screensaver and Settings tabs. Anyone know how to fix it?

Wait! I just fixed the display properties problem!

Go to Run --> regedit

Then go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Look for the entries NoDispAppearancePage and NoDispBackgroundPage. If they have 1 as their values, set them to 0.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    DeathClaw, nice job

Well, I guess partly fixed ...

I can't change the desktop's background through the display properties because it is greyed out.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    How about XP Repair ? that is if you know for sure the system is now clean.

Thanks. I'll try it when I get the time.

just delete the "wallpaper" key... i think you should be able to change wallpapers now..

in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    registry mentioned by deathclaw.. delete the wallpaper value..