Thread: When I view info from a site is that info stored in RAM or on my HD?

When I view info from a site is that info stored in RAM or on my HD?

IS THIS QUESTION IN THE CORRECT FORUM

When I am connected and viewing the various pages of a site, I am connected directly through to it, correct? Now is the information I am viewing channeled directly to my monitor, or does it go into RAM or does it maybe get temporarily put on my HD. OR exactly what DOES happen?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I will explain later, but basically there is a little man/woman inside drawing the pretty pictures with many paint brushes... sort of like the gishnu elephant from "Simpsons" with many arms...

LOL... joking...

Ok, seriously now... no really the people are tiny, a whole army of them drawing all the images on monitors around the world...

Sorry, in funny mood.

Ok. When you enter a URL, the keyboard data is sent into memory, in a text box called address bar. It is then read from this memory location, formed into 'text' as HTTP request, then transmitted as digital data across internet to the server. The server then replies with HTTP response. Your network card decodes the transmitter data as HTTP and filles IE/FFox memory of text boxes or the HTML engine decodes this memory and marksup the webpage.

Now, if you have low memory, then your HD is used for Pagefile (rare though for web pages since they dont take up too much mem.), now, if embedded in the HTML webpage are flash or other objects, these objects could be downloaded into your temporary internet storage area on HD and read directly from there.

But basically all programs use Memory to store data or code instructions that the CPU accesses.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

A good answer, Cash. But could you expand or explain in a bit more detail this bit of your answer? "Your network card decodes the transmitter data as HTTP and files IE/FFox memory of text boxes or the HTML engine decodes this memory and marksup the webpage." Specifically just where is the HTML engine and what does "marking up" the web page" mean?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmm... A few topics here...

Let assume that you've already made request for webpage, and it has been sent to your computer and ready in memory for HTML Engine. As this is trivial networking ideas...

Now, sitting in memory (RAM) is the actual web page file (index.html). HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is written in a specific format describing (or marking) text to form the Internet Page. Now, a HTML engine, this being Internet Explorer(IE) or Firefox(Gecko) with decoder built into those programs. so iexplorer.exe or firefox.exe...

This HTML engine accepts index.html from memory and proceeds to decode the HTML tags (<html><body>Blah blah</body></html>), it then knows how to display this information within the browser window. It is upto windowsXP to actually show this Browser, whether its minimised or half-off screen etc...

Hope that helps :d

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---