Thread: Windows Memory Diagnostics

Angry Windows Memory Diagnostics

My computer stops a lot .Last time I used flash when the computer stopped again out of the blue. When I restarted I saw an error report, followed all the instructions and was directed to Windows Memory Diagnostics. When I ran it I got LRAND errors in almost every pass. When I got tired of it and turned it off I got 40 LRAND errors all referred to memory modules.
    Dose “Memory modules” = “RAM sticks”?
    I have only 2 stick of RAM each 1/4 GB do I need to go through all the troubleshooting or can I just get new once and install them?
    Can a simple "deep" clean help?
    Can the problem be cause be something else but RAM?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Dose “Memory modules” = “RAM sticks”?
    yes, it means the modules on the sticks of ram.

Even though Windows Memory Diagnostics, Memtest86 and the likes are pretty accurate there still needs to be an understanding of what the results mean.

If the memory always faults in the same module on the same bank within the same address range then its probably bad ram.

If it faults in random fashion across the banks with no clear cut pattern then it could be other things, weak powersupply, bad voltage regulator on mother board or the ram could have been damaged from a voltage surge (lightning..)

You could try removing the ram and re-insert it, make sure your grounded when you do so, static electricity kills electronics. If the test error is always in the same module and that module is in the first bank (memory stick), you might be able to get away with swaping it to the second bank. That could hold you over till replacement.

No sense in replacing the ram untill you know for sure thats the problem. Any more info on the errors would be helpful.

Good luck
    Last edited by FastGame; April 26th, 2005 at 15:05 PM.

Should I try the Windows Memory Diagnostics several times and see if the address changes?
    I don't realy want to touch all the "sensitive stuff",I've expirience but I don't want to break the computer even more because I am not it's only user ,Except my computer is only 2 years old, I don't feel like I want to replace it because of a memory stick.
    Can I avoid all that unplasent staff?

I would run the test again just so you have a better understanding of what going on. If you don't feel comfortable repairing the PC yourself then by all means take it to a shop.

If you decide to try then let us know and someone will give detailed instruction on the repair.

BTW your not going to need a new PC if its the ram, powersupply or motherboard....

I'll do it, but first I have some questions
    1)What can Windows Memory Diagnostics originaly made for?
    2)Do I need to chang the settings of "Windows Memory Diagnostics" before the memory scan?
    3)When I need to stop it?
    4)can DOS or\and Windows run without?
    5)What's the risk?

1)What can Windows Memory Diagnostics originaly made for? Testing memory

2)Do I need to chang the settings of "Windows Memory Diagnostics" before the memory scan? use standard or extended setting

3)When I need to stop it? after one or two complete passes

4)can DOS or\and Windows run without? you boot to Windows Memory Diagnostics, nothing will run while the test is running

5)What's the risk? none that I know of

Report back with the test results

I've found and neutralized the problem (memory stick).
    thanks