It might be ISP related.
I get this message even though all the setting are correct and Gmail POP is enabled. I tried it on 2 accounts.The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'firstname.lastname@example.org', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
This used to happen before but went away on its own account and now its back.
Has this ever happened to anybody else?
Last edited by tarun; April 26th, 2005 at 18:05 PM.
It might be ISP related.
Ok, I'll contact the ISP, but I dont think its ISP related because I could use it up till not just fine and other people in that ISP have used it.
There were times when I couldn't connect thru POP3 yet I could access it thru the web. It's just one of those quirks of the internet.
*Sigh* Damn it, I've gotten too attached to OE.
I have the same problem, I tried checking from another computer on another network, worked fine, tried from a different computer on the same network, worked fine. It's only one computer that has this problem.
it says can't even find the host, tried different ports, nothing works
A lot of people have had this problem, about 2-3 people have mailed me after finding my post on the Gmail help group. My ISP person has no clue.
You're not from India, are you t0rus?
this is gmail related. i have troubleshooted it down to gmail. i can't contact them either. having a router and 2 gmail accounts seems to play a role in it too
my post on gmail.
Code:I can't access email through incredimal, outlook or outlook express. sometime it works. but most of the time it doesn't. I have everytime configure properly. if I put the computer on somebody else ip address, everything will always work. then i come home and it will work for a few hours. then it will stop again for some reason, it started working again this morning. then as soon as i add my kids gmail account in with mine this afternoon, it stopped again. it look like gmail is intentionally blocking it. help
I just found the solution. my post to incredimail support
OK. Here’s the deal. Outlook and express both stopped working after a few hour or so. Thunderbird would not work. I concluded that gmail is the problem.
Outlook express did however produce an error code. I googled it and it seems that a lot of people have this problem. I immediate notice 2 thing people had in common. A router (most had this issue) and multiple gmail accounts. I am a bull head who refuse to quit when I have a problem so this what I did. The 2 account thing lead me nowhere (although I now suspect that the multiple gmail accounts lead to the router blocking the ports). So now I went after the router
I type in the router (192.168.x.xx). I then made 2 firewall exceptions in the router. 1 was called Mail Pop3 (with port 995 down as the beginning and end port and set to allow outbound connections) and Mail Stmp (with port 465 down as the beginning and end port and set to allow outbound connections).
Everything seems to work now.
Gmail has router issues