Thread: copy/paste install

Titanium Member

copy/paste install

I wandered into my old True Image zone and made a left into Program files avenue. It is there where I decided to copy some files to plant them into my new neighborhood. I did so and found the programs still work. Is this an unsafe practice? These apps were installed at one time, but seems to work anyway.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think some programs will work like this but I wouldn't personally make a habit out of it... Some programs require a proper registration process to function fully. Also when you go to remove them, the way you did it you'll have to manually remove it, and your registry might get all gunked...

There might be other reasons not to do it but for now that is all I am thinking on this subject.

Titanium Member
    Are there any registry wizards here that know how to register an app? Actually, it's registered (as a file) when you put into Program files - there's just no system uninstall method. I think someone should make a program with GUI that will do so.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Are there any registry wizards here that know how to register an app? Actually, it's registered (as a file) when you put into Program files - there's just no system uninstall method. I think someone should make a program with GUI that will do so.
    Not all programs will register when you just drop them into the program folder... from another source. They won't run correctly or at all in some cases. Depends on the program.

Some actually require a system install where it puts in the proper registry items as necessary.

Titanium Member
    What I mean by register is that the registry shows what is in Program files and if I make a shortcut or put a shortcut in startups it will register it - I would like to register an uninstall for them though. I'm guessing that some programs are self contained and don't need to use common files/dlls/ect - so they don't need to be registered. I don't know - it's just a guess.

This is my favorite fixer/reg cleaner/etc and this is the only entry in registry but seems to work fine: http://www.v-com.com/product/Fix-It_Utilities_Home.html

But it did make files here: C:\Documents and Settings\me\Application Data\VCOM\Fix-It

And here: C:\VCOM\BACKUP
    Last edited by lynchknot; April 27th, 2005 at 06:46 AM.