Thread: Laptop Hard Drive Failure

Laptop Hard Drive Failure

Maybe it failed maybe it did not, trying a boot CD to find out.

Question is: will an ATA-6 drive work in place of an ATA-5 OEM drive?

Any hints on finding out if the drive really failed? System setup does not recognize a fixed drive, and system restore failed to write.

Are the controllers on the mother board? Could the mother board have gone bad? Presario 2100, 2 years old. Runs real hot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Question is: will an ATA-6 drive work in place of an ATA-5 OEM drive?
    Yes it'll work.

Are the controllers on the mother board? Could the mother board have gone bad?
    Yes & Yes...

Can you boot to the bios and see if the HD is recognized, prolly isn't or System setup would have seen it.....

If it runs hot the HD could of went bad, check the cable first and while your in there check MB for burns or smell of burns.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Yes it'll work.

Yes & Yes...

Can you boot to the bios and see if the HD is recognized, prolly isn't or System setup would have seen it.....

If it runs hot the HD could of went bad, check the cable first and while your in there check MB for burns or smell of burns.
    This morning on system boot, the SMART check said "hard drive failure immenent." Last night I was able to scan the disc and the system recognized it, I set up windows on it, but then the hard drive became irradic, then spun like crazy. The system would freeze and the drive would just spin, so I'm guessing the hard drive is bad for sure.

Thanks for the ATA info. I can get an ATA-6 for less that the OEM drive.