Thread: XP Security Features acting screwy

XP Security Features acting screwy

Lately, we've been rebooting and getting the little red shield in the system tray that warns us to check our anti-virus and firewall. We usually find that the anti-virus is indeed still on and the firewall settings tells us that "due to an unidentified problem" we can't turn it on now. After one otwo reboots, the problem is no longer there.
    My comment- After they pestered me and bothered me to get ALLLL of the updates availabe, the security software still has bugs in it.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What AV and Firewall are you using ?

The A/V is Norton- understandable to see detection glitches here and there. The frewall, however, is Microsoft's. They can't even see their own firewall.

I'm holding on to faith though. NEXT version of Windows will be bug free. I can feel it.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Older versions of Norton wasn't recognized by SP2 Security Center, Norton came out with a patch and it should have downloaded when it updated.

For the XP Firewall ? Go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. Check in Applications, System and Security for errors related to the Firewall. Right click the error, choose properties and see what it says about the error.

You could also try to re-install SP2 or turn off Security Center if you know AV & Firewall are in working order.

I would use another firewall other than XP's. ZoneAlarm Free, Sygate Free, Kerio 2.1.5 Free are good choices.