Thread: GoBack Problems

GoBack Problems

Has anyone had problems installing GoBack after adding another drive? I simply CANNOT get this to work!!! Went to symantec, deleted said reg keys, still loops unless I disable it.

Although I despise most symantec products, Goback saved me several times.

Is this because of the serial ATA drive? Couldn't find anything on it.

Any ideas? Any ideas on other software that works like Goback to save my posterior when I live dangerously and like to experiment? To hell with Goback if there is something else that works like it. Farstone (came with board CD) won't install and loops as well. I emailed them concerning this, however, I am LOW priority because I have not "paid" for my software. Bundling doesn't count apparently, so I don't get 48 hour priority on my email request for help.

Thanks,
    Sharon

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    what operating sustem are you using?

Windows xp uses goback and it is called systm restore.

you can locate the program in the start menu

programs/accesories/system tools/system restore
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Egg, though I read somewhere that system restore causes problems. Since this is a fresh install and only a few days old, I haven't disabled it. Had it disabled before, but the reasons why I did it escapes me.

Is system restore reliable???? If so I won't worry.....

TIA,

Sharon

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    system restore works well.

you could disable system restore and see if you can install goback.

One thing with system restore is that you must save any downloaded files into the my documents folder or they can be removed when restoring back to an earlier time.

if you are interested in a programe to save your pc's state i suggest deep freeze,
    http://www.faronics.com/canada/deepfreeze.asp

this program wipes out all changes and downloaded files and replaces any files that were changed.

everytime your restart your computer it resorts back to the way it was before.

you could delete all the key system files on your computer and when you reboot they are all fine.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Egg, I'm going to go ahead and try to disable system restore and see if Goback will go in. Symantec is no help, so I go it alone with your suggestions

Checked out the Deep Freeze and it sounds great.....will download and try it.

Thanks tons!

Sharon

Titanium Member
    Some are saying ShadowUser/ShadowSurfer is better. I'm going to try it soon

Any way you cut that, it's still a dis-advantage of using DeepFreeze instead of SU. I don't know about your A/V-A/T programs, but mine update when they feel like it in the case of NOD32 and EWIDO (and probably others).

I want that update as soon as it happens - and with SU (when your defensive programs are running within the Shadow session) I get them right then because my defensive programs are all in SU's "Exclusions" list - those changes do get written back to the actual files right then.

There's no use whatsoever in having A/V - A/T programs that "push" updates (and thus protect you better from the most-recent threats) if those programs can't update automatically whenever they need to - which is exactly the situation you're outlining with the use of DF.
    ShadowUser-ShadowSurfer comparison: http://www.shadowstor.com/products/I...9&ProductID=18
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 2nd, 2005 at 23:23 PM.

System Restore which watches only system files and not "everything" is weak compared to Goback .... try deleting all your fonts and using system restore to correct it, or try deleting your windows folder and emptying the recycle bin and turning off the computer and then restarting Windows or renaming your Windows folder ... (DON'T DO IT !!! Without GOBACK, System Restore can't work, since Windows won't work)

SP2's issue with Goback 3 or Goback 4 on an Athlon64 PCI Express system can be resolved easily by adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini

/noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

so that it reads something like

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

instead of

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn