Thread: AMD vs Pentium

AMD vs Pentium

Hey guys,just wanted to get some thoughts on this after a recent interesting occurence.

The other day a guy i know told me he had some PC stuff he was tossing out that was givin to him and told me i could take anything i thought i could use.Besides some 40GB HDD's and CD-roms the only thing left was an IBM Netvista PC with everything except ram and a HDD.So i figured i'd try and get it running.After installing some ram and HDD's and tossing windows XP pro on it i was amazed to see this PC even beats out my AMD Athlon XP 2400 with 1GB PC3200 ram considering the IBM is a P4 2.4GHz of course its a little faster but i only added 256MB PC2100 into it and it still beats my system.

So ive been wondering what do you guys think about the whole AMD vs Pentium situation.After seeing this i was thinking i might build a Pentium based system for my next project.However thats only if i can get a 64 bit Pentium chip.Im not sure if they even have any of those out yet.Hope to hear your thoughts

Titanium Member
    what do you mean by "beats out"? If you mean it responds quicker it's probably because you've got a fresh install of windows. Start packing it out with identical start-ups and applications, then test it.

Well i mean is from response time,Time it takes to open programs such as photoshop.ect.I dont have quite as much on it as on my main system but a fair amount.

Titanium Member
    Over time, your system becomes "mucked up" with crap (reg entries no longer used, etc) and will slow everything down. Also, fragmentation might be greater in your old system (files and registry)

Heh yeah i know all about that.I perform frequent clean ups on my system.Mainly i use Registry first Aid,System Mechanic,As well as do defrags on my Hdd's,empty out Temp folders,cookies,ect.I really should do a format but its a major pain to reinstall all the software i got on my PC.

On a side note do you happen to know any good driver sites?I am missing 3 drivers for the IBM PC and cant seem to find them anywhere.

The 3 in question are Ethernet Driver,SM Bus controller,and USB controller for a IBM Netvista 8305-43U.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; May 3rd, 2005 at 05:09 AM.

Titanium Member
    I hate formats as well. I try to use True Image when needed. I've got just about everything I want now and it's only 13GB on a fresh format.
    As far as drivers go, Google is your best bet. Try changing key words - sometimes it helps.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 3rd, 2005 at 05:52 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I did not see mention of the front side buss of the pent system...like anything else it is a matter of preference mostly....some feel that the AMD's kick the Intel chips butts....I have an AMD and had a dell that performace wise blew the socks off my AMD....but, I still have the AMD.....Dell went to the garbage can....oops, did I say that ....lol

Platinum+ Member
    I read somewhere that AMD chips are better a handling graphics.
    I thought the graphics card handled graphics. Wouldnt graphics or data be all the same for a processor?

Quote Originally Posted by tarun
    I read somewhere that AMD chips are better a handling graphics.
    I thought the graphics card handled graphics. Wouldnt graphics or data be all the same for a processor?
    I don't do the high end graphics card so I don't keep up with new developments in that area. In the past however the CPU and graphics card worked together. The graphics card provides texture to an image and provided the information in a format usable to the monitor. The CPU provides the numerical processing associated with changes in movement from one frame to the next.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Platinum+ Member
    Thanks efc