Thread: System restarts... Help!

Platinum+ Member

System restarts... Help!

System gives me the Iasss.exe error and restarts.
    I downloaded the Blaster Removal tool but it says - "You do not have admin rights to run the tool".

For now I keep typing 'shutdown -a' at run, but I need this to go away.

I just got all the partitions formatted and win xp pro reinstalled. Can it be any other virus?

If you can download and run Microworld Antivirus Utilities Toolkit or Antidote Superlite they will identify the virus for you. The error sounds like w32.Sasser so you will most probably want the Sasser worm removal tool.

This tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe from avast is small and will handle most variants of either worm - plus a few others.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Tarun... classic number 1 mistake... you cant format with plain XP or SP1 then connect to net for updates - Yep Sasser virus or variant (we got Korgo.v)... Rev's link to window tool is good and should remove some aspects of it...

but really your first step should be disconnect all networks/modems... get someone else to download KB828741 and KB835732 patches!! Or install SP2... these are the most important patches.. they plug the RPC and LSASS remote execution exploits!! Then once you've got these, you can go straight to windows update and get all patches!! then do full virus scan, probably an online one will be best since the virus wont corrupt or hide from installed antivirus program

Good luck...

Next time, get a slipstream XP SP2 cd made up

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Platinum+ Member
    Thanks a lot Curio and Reverend...

Both the tools detected nothing, but my computer now appears to have no problems. I scanned with Mcafee, AVG and Housecall but found nothing.

I first thought it was some kind of worm or some problem preventable by a firewall, but then my shutdown option started disappearing and programs would tell me I did not have admin rights and the stystem would tell me Iasss.exe failed shutdown in 60secs...
    The antivirus softwares also would fail and not update.

I think installing Zonealarm (with a considereable number of attempts), it looks ok.

Oh the irony - my slipstreamed CD wasn't working, CS
    Last edited by tarun; May 4th, 2005 at 04:52 AM.

That's cool.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?