Thread: mozilla and firefox

mozilla and firefox

mozilla says not to install a newer version of firefox over an older one. i am a big fan of it mainly because of the tabbed browsing and more security than IE. but i have heard that mozilla has more options and stuff and i want the firebird email client, so i uninstalled firefox and downloaded the full suite. would it be ok to install firefox also? or would that cause the same problems as installing firefox over itself?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I've installed FF over itself about 5 times with no issues. Try it and see.

Wait, I have run into problems here. You can install both and use both. Just don't install both into default locations. Choose a different location for one of the programs. Otherwise you are stuck with a lot of bloat should you decide to uninstall one of them.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Titanium Member
    I don't understand how they can get confused. I have both installed in default locations and they have their own directories:

..and in application data they may be in the same folder but Firefox clearly has it's own folder:

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I've installed FF over itself about 5 times with no issues. Try it and see.
    I've done this too... however, in the add/remove programs, there are several entries... so just a bit messy...

Uninstalling previous version does no harm (ie you shouldnt loose links/bookmarks etc) as it keeps your profile.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

oke doke thanks

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I normally uninstall before installing a new version of Firefox. If I don't it usually causes problems with some extensions.

double check

so the consensus is that if i install them both in different directories, i can have both the mozilla suite and firefox installed at the same time. will the same thing work for thunderbird?