Thread: Studio 7 after upgrading 2 Windows XP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Studio 7 after upgrading 2 Windows XP

Hi. I have problems capturing movies from my DV camera on Pinnacle's Studio 7 onto my computer after upgrading my OS from 98 to XP. I get a lot of frames dropped (thousands, in fact)

I did not have this problem when I was capturing it under Windows 98.

I tried to use Windows XP moviemaker but it warn me that my system could not provide acceptable performance when recording from a high speed device like a DV camera (What does THAT mean?)

Are there ways to increase the memory of my sys for this task?
    Pls help......

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    First off what are your system specs? Secondly, have you tried using studio 7 in compatibility mode? Right click the executable file located in the Pinnacle folder under the program folder in your C: drive.

Then select properties, compatibility mode, and select the windows 98 feature.
    See if that does not help resolve the dropped frames issue.. it might, then again it might not.

Now on to movie maker, don't use it, it sucks. Get yourself a trial copy of Adobe premiere. I have found this program to work wonderfully well when capturing video from a DV camera. Give it a go and tell us what you think.

Back to studio 7, have you tried the most recent patch? S7_DL_US.htm (4/9/2002) 10.8 MB Version 7.13.5
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/d...&DocTypesID=14

The link above will take you to the most recent patch available. That might resolve some of the issues you are having. Further, you might try shutting down any non-essential programs that might be running in the background, and try adjusting the settings in Pinnacle to best suit your purpose.

Hope that helps,
    BB

Smile System Ok

Thanks Big Booger. I think the problem was my system specs= you are right.
    Initially my system was the HP Pavilion 8519 using Pentium 3. I did not realize its not compatible for XP.

Now my sys is Pentium 4 (1.7 Ghz) ASUS P4S533 ACPI motherboard and Sparkle Nvidia GEForce 2 MX400 (64MB) VGA with 512 MB DDR Ram.

Now it's ok. I just purchased the Adobe Premiere 6 and trying it out. But have to admit it's a bit complex for a novice like me. I just play with my Sony DV to record family events (like my Wife's birthday or parents' aniversary) and make them into VCDs... No professional stuff. Thats why Studio 7 was easier for me.

Anyway, thanks a lot 4 the help.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Re: System Ok

Originally posted by 52851R
    HP Pavilion 8519 using Pentium 3. I did not realize its not compatible for XP.
    wow!

where did you get that info from.

i think that computer is fine with xp
    its not that bad

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Smile When Doing DV capturing and Burning 2 VCD

Hi.

It works ok when using Internet and work-processing and such.
    But when I want 2 capture video from my DV camera, I get a lot of dropped frames and system hang. I guess it is the system because when I upgraded the system and run the same software no problems--> 0 dropped frame.

I wasted 2 much time trying to solve the problem so I did the next best thing: find a system tt suits the task. Instead of forcing the task to the system.

Sorry about the generalized comment, I mean, it does work with XP; but for Video Capturing and Editing, I found a lot of problems.

Cheers.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i always like a good upgrade

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------