Thread: Remote Access Possibilities

Remote Access Possibilities

hey TZ... i'm needing some suggestions and comments on setting up some sort of remote access for employees. the company i work for only had a handful of employees (4 currently) but we're adding in a 5th, who would be a few states away from our office. i want them to be able to have access to our shared files here at the office, and i need some suggestions on how to go about doing that.

i have some exsposure to a Cicso firewall (i dont know which one) to which we use a Cicso softare VPN to connect and gain access to two offsite servers. ideally, this is a similar solution to what i want to find. this way, the new person (or anyone i give the software and passwords) can connect, and have access to the file shares, and everything else in teh office (SQL, webserver, etc).

the slight complication i have been thinking about is this... we currently have a T1 coming into our office. it has a T1 router of some kind (i'm not sure what brand or model but it doesnt matter much b/c..) but i dont have any access to it, or its interface. our ISP doesnt allow clients access into the routers that are on their clients site. currently, that T1 router is acting as DHCP.

ideally, what i would want to do is get anotehr firewall (with VPN capabilities) and put it in between my T1 router, and the rest of my office network. then, have the ISP open all ports and let me manage whats coming in and out, and going where on the one static IP address that i assign to the new firewall. that way i not only allow VPNs to come in and connect, but i gain control over what ports get forwarded where. (which is something i dont like not having control over.. i'm just like that for some reason).

comments? suggestions? other plans? what have any of you other guys done in similar situations?

if i didnt explain something clearly, please let me know.. i'll explain it better. Thanks.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Dehc and Curio would be the best people to talk to about Servers and Security...

In essence, VPN route is fairly safe, with loads of documentation on web and forums... Depending on your server configuration - since you are a small business - Small Business Server 2003, as great remote apps... Outlook Web Access, built-in VPN style remote desktop connection sharing...

You have lots of options and will need some time to ponder the situation...

I probably wouldnt recommend getting ISP to open all ports and let you control the router/firewall device... as simple mistake could leave you wide open!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

cool, thanks for the advice cash_site... i'm still trying to learn some stuff about all this.