Thread: Windows NT TCP/IP install prob

New Zealand

Windows NT TCP/IP install prob

Hi all
    I am selling a computer for a friend. It is a Compaq AP200. Initially the HDD on it packed up, so I installed a new one for my friend and used the Compaq "Restore" CD that came with the machine to get a "legal" OS back on there so it can be sold "fully operational". However, I have no experience with NT - it looks a bit "doggy" to my eyes... Anyway, all I want to do at the moment is get a connection with the network card to my ADSL router. To do that, I have install to TCP/IP in the Network settings. So far, so good. However, once I get to that stage, the computer asks for the install CD (which I can't use as it is only a Restore CD) so I point NT to the i386 folder on "C" for the "Telnet" application it's looking for. Then the problem starts: it just sits there with the HDD light flashing every second or so. I tried doing a restart after 5 mins the first time, but when I had rebooted, there was no TCP/IP. This time, I've left it for over an hour, and it's still being a pig! As much as I don't want to waste time on an old PIII 500, I'm hoping to sell the whole system (incl monitor) for around $200, so it would be nice to get it "talking" to the outside world.

Please help!!!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried copying the contents of the restore CD to a folder, and then when it asks for the install CD, point it to that folder?