Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suse 9.3

Any other LINUX sites come highly recommended?
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

The main thing that I don't like about the new SuSe 9.3 is that they have compiled all of the media playing applications to not work with MP3 or DVD.

I am too lazy to recompile the applications. Luckily Novell has been making all versions of SuSe available free on their international mirrors. If I had purchased the sofware and found out that they removed support for MP3 I would have been pretty upset.

I use Mandriva for my primary pc, but I have been looking at other distributions because Mandriva is behind the times when it comes to obtaining updated packages. They are still on firefox 1.0.2.

I have been looking at ubuntu and it seems nice, but there are a lot of things that are different. I am about to install kubuntu to see how that is, but I think that in the end I am going to wind up running Debian or Gentoo.

I use www.linuxquestions.org as my primary information site.

Apparently it's very easy to enable mp3 support you just use YaST and it's under Multimedia/Optional components or something similar. It downloads the additional bits from the net. The removal is something to do with patents and other distros are also doing it.

SuSE 9.3 setup http://dan.hersam.com/archives/2005/...-configuration
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?