Thread: Power Glitch and Reset: How Do I Resolve

Power Glitch and Reset: How Do I Resolve

My friend has an HP Pavilion 7940, 1GHZ P3, 128MB SDRAM running Win 2000 ME. It seems the computer shuts down intermittently. When I viewed the computer the green "on" light in the back of the computer was off. I unplugged the cord and then plugged it back in. Immediately the green light on the power supply registered "on" and I was able to start the computer.

Why would the green light to the power supply be off? Is there a thermally activated switch which shuts down the computer if the power supply overheats? To properly reset the power supply, my impression is we needed to unplug it and then plug it back in? Is this correct? And the reset functionality is within the power supply itself and not the motherboard, correct?

Comments / info would be appreciated. Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd have the PS checked. Also the switch might be faulty. Check the on/off switch as well as the PC button that turns the comp on.

it could be that your power supply is going (or has gone) bad. it sounds like this is not a new computer by the description of it's contents - so, it's probably out of warrantee.

get a can of air, a vaccume cleaner and a nice open area (a garage would be perfect) open up the computer and blow/suck the dust out of the vents and fans.

if a computer's mobo has thermal monitoring of any kind, the computer will shut down if it gets too hot. some later computers (usually intel) will shut down if the CPU fan stops.

Why would the green light to the power supply be off?
    could be bad power supply, could also be bad power cable. where exactly is the green light?

Is there a thermally activated switch which shuts down the computer if the power supply overheats?
    On the mobo, yes. usually, factory power supplies aren't as "smart" as we would like them to be - if they were, the computer would likely cost a lot more.

To properly reset the power supply, my impression is we needed to unplug it and then plug it back in? Is this correct? And the reset functionality is within the power supply itself and not the motherboard, correct?
    there are two common types of shutdowns you can do to a computer.

1: hardboot - this is where you turn the computer completely off. there is no power going to your computer. this is a sure way to dump your system memory.

2: softboot - a restart, your computer doesn't actually power down. it simply reboots. often needed to update your system with the current registry from previously installed programs/drivers etc.

the reset and power buttons are controlled by the motherboard. with some later mobo's you can set what the power and reset buttons do in the bios.

lemme know how your friends computer does after the cleaning.

Powersupply and/or motherboard.

Powersupply being the cheaper of the 2.

Power suuply or faulty or jammed switch on case