Thread: DSL modem

DSL modem

How much does a basic DSL modem (without any fancy features) cost? Here, DSL prices have dropped by 80% along the last year. So I might be able to get the 128k or 512k connection soon

Before you buy a DSL moden, please ensure it is compatible with your DSL provider. Unlike cablemodems, DSL communication protocol / modems are not standardized. For this reason, in the United States, you don't find DSL modems easily online or at the big electronic stores (COMPUSA, Fry's, Best Buy, etc), and accordinly DSL modems are typically purchased directly from the DSL provider. I purchaesd mine for US$99 directly from my provider.

Good luck.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Thanks for the info, smartin22.

That explains why the bastards are charging 165 dinars ($235) for the modem although it shouldn't exceed $100-150 I guess.

At first I thought it probably had too many features that I don't need. So now I know that's not the case

Is there any way to check whether it would be compatible 'cause I don't expect any cooperation from them now?

Ask the Internet Provider

Code:
    Is there any way to check whether it would be compatible 'cause I don't expect any cooperation from them now?
    My experience is the Internet provider will tell you the features / protocol that are needed. However, even with this info, the DSL modem choices seemed to be very limited (in the US at least) and my ability to discern whether / not the DSL modem had the correct features, was not good. I quickly I didn't want to test / experiment, especially given I was not going to save much money, and I simply bought mine from the DSL provider.

Good Luck.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

re:

if your register with aol you get the dsl free of charge i did with mine