Thread: XP Recovery console problem

XP Recovery console problem

I'd like to use the Windows XP recovery console to fix my MBR and I've been reading the instructions at the bottom of http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxprcons.html to get the to the Windows Recovery Console, but I can never get to the screen allowing you to use it from the 6 floppies it tells you to create, they just keep telling me to insert the next disk. I can't use the recovery Cd's that came with my HP Pavilion, because they only give me the option to do a delete all the data on my hard disk, then do a clean install of Windows XP, and quit, and I don't want to lose all my hard drive data. Do I have to go through every floppy to get to the recovery console, or is there something that site isn't explaining? Won't that remove all the original system files on my hard disk? Does anyone know how to use the setup floppies available from Microsofts web site for this purpose?

I installed the first 5 setup floppies, but now whenever I try to read a floppy I get a message stating: A:\ is not accessible. The floppy disk controller reported and error that is not recognized by the driver. I wonder if a full reinstall with my HP system recovery disks would be the solution at this point.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Unfortunately that may be the case.

Before you do a wipe and clean install, you might consider using some other tools to try and fix the MBR, perhaps a Knoppix Disk or a Bart's PE Disk.

Badger
    Last edited by 1badger11; May 16th, 2005 at 06:57 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I'm a little foggy this a.m., but I believe if during the windows cd boot...it gives u the option of installing or reparing windows....if u choose repair u can type in chkdsk /r once your cursor starts to flash and while windows is running it will repair the corrupted files, it is not a fast process but it does correct the issues. It has been awhile since I've had to do this...any of u older members remember this?....

I'm a little foggy this a.m., but I believe if during the windows cd boot...it gives u the option of installing or reparing windows.

Not neccesarliy, if you read at the top of that article I posted a link to, some recovery Cd's don't give you the option of doing that, and mine are one of those.