Thread: getting creative labs usb modem to work in linux

getting creative labs usb modem to work in linux

i recently bought a creative labs usb blaster modem it works in windows fine but not in ubuntu(5.04 hoary) does it need to be configured and how do i do it

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I would guess that this is a winmodem and if that is the case, you can pretty much give up trying to get it to work in Linux.. unless creative have released a driver for Linux...

Look on the modem and tell me if you see any mention of conexant. If so, then check here:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/?PHP...87634d5793dd4d

ur goal is to make complete, high-quality drivers for Conexant chipsets available to the Linux community.

Due to intellectual-property/patent issues beyond our control, the source code of some components like modem modulations cannot be released; however, we have attempted to reduce the inconvenience of binary-only modules by separating the proprietary code from the operating-system specific code. The latter is provided in source form, allowing users to install the drivers under any supported version of the Linux kernel.

Is my device supported? Which driver(s) do I need?

Our generic Linux drivers for most Conexant HCF and HSF chipsets support as many configurations and features as possible. However due to the large number of modem and computer system manufacturers using Conexant chipsets in custom products, there are no guarantees that generic drivers will provide the same functionality as the original driver software or even work with your modem (please see the license/legal disclaimer). Despite this, we have many happy users!

To choose the appropriate driver(s), you must first identify your modem chipset.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 10th, 2005 at 14:29 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I agree with BB,a serial Hardware modem works the best for me.You would think by this time there is support for the latest modem hardware but Linux is still fussey.Even my wireless network adapter works and finnally my HP usb scanner has basic capabilities.I'll still vote for XP at the moment.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    My Conexant based modem was fully supported when I installed Suse 9.3 and under Ubuntu 5.04.
    Last edited by rik; May 10th, 2005 at 14:53 PM.

i returned it in favor of a usrobitics pro pci 56k data/fax modem it says it works with kernel 2.3 and higher istill cant get it to work with ubuntu hoary5.04 (alpha) pppconfig,minicom or wvdial dont help i downloaded a front end for gnomeppp i see what happens with that. anyone have any ideas

modem in hoary

i got the modem to dial up by typing ln -s ttyS14 but it wont hold a connection can someone tell me why

pppconfig, check it. Head over to the ubuntu forums and ask about configuring your pppconfig for your modem. I am sure someone there may be able to help. I would try to help you but I don't even own a dial-up modem to test this out with.