Thread: Graphic Card - Expertise Please

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

Graphic Card - Expertise Please

I am sure this has been asked in the past, but since things change so often, I would like some current advice, please.

I am thinking of upgrading another computer. The company offers both the 256 Radion X800 and the 256 nVidia 6800 GTS card.

Which would you say is the better overall card?
    Or is there something better that I should be aware of?

I am thinking of making the new purchase in late June.

Thank you.

Bronze Member
    Both cards are pretty much the same unless you'd be doing much in the way of 3D gaming. If you are doing 3D gaming, the GTS would probably give you more bang for your buck. You can check benchmarks and reviews here...
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1780524,00.asp

ya both cards are high end cards so unless you are a hardcore gamer that will fight to the death in the which-is-better nvidia or ATI argument you best choice would be the cheapest. Overcourse there is a noticible difference between the two but if you are upgrading and not changing from one to the other the differences are of no consiquence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousesk
    Both cards are pretty much the same unless you'd be doing much in the way of 3D gaming. If you are doing 3D gaming, the GTS would probably give you more bang for your buck. You can check benchmarks and reviews here...
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1780524,00.asp

Thank you I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    ya both cards are high end cards so unless you are a hardcore gamer that will fight to the death in the which-is-better nvidia or ATI argument you best choice would be the cheapest. Overcourse there is a noticible difference between the two but if you are upgrading and not changing from one to the other the differences are of no consiquence.

Cheaper... I like that determinating factor. Thanks!

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I have had both, first nvidia's. then ati's....went with the 6800GT on my latest build....awesome card....why did I change?....best bang for the buck.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If your a gamer then the 6800 GT is the best bet, if your not a gamer then don't waste your $$$ on any of the two.....

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    If your a gamer then the 6800 GT is the best bet, if your not a gamer then don't waste your $$$ on any of the two.....
    You bet. If you are not a gamer, any 64 MB card ($19 - $29) will do the job. Put the money saved on extra memory, and digital camera, larger HD, faster CPU (which you probably don't need) or you can buy the wife or girlfriend some flowers. Oh hell, I got carried away again.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    or you can buy the wife or girlfriend some flowers. Oh hell, I got carried away again.
    I guess you did get "carried away", since Denyse01 is a women Hmmm that would mean......

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I guess you did get "carried away", since Denyse01 is a women Hmmm that would mean......
    I stand corrected.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

The computer I am looking at will be configured for high end graphics work. I checked last night and the ATI is a XT850 not XT800 card, and they want an extra $400 for the "upgrade".

Titanium Member
    Why pay them to put it together? It's easy to do it yourself...or - if I build it, will you ____. nevermind!

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denyse01
    The computer I am looking at will be configured for high end graphics work. I checked last night and the ATI is a XT850 not XT800 card, and they want an extra $400 for the "upgrade".
    I think that's their latest release with 512MB of ddr memory on the card itself...not necessary unless your a die hard gamer....