Thread: BitDefender v8.0 Standard

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

BitDefender v8.0 Standard

Going to keep this nice and short

After months of anti-virus testing, i finally got around to installing what is probably the least known anti-virus of all time, BitDefender.

I was so amazed by BitDefender, i ordered a copy after a week of testing, and that's saying a lot, since i never buy anything

The detection seems to be spot on, both real-time and scanning, options are plentiful and fully custimisable (which i love), the memory foot print is low, the GUI is beautiful and well designed, and the updates are as good as they come, the AV even watchs out for registry changes like Spybot does.

What was even better about this AV, was the price, i got the standard edition for only $24.99 for a years subscription, that's just a bargain.

The standard edition is basically, the normal edition, the deluxe edition which is $15 dearer, only includes a built in firewall, which reading about on the reviews, is a load of pants anyway

Best thing is, i'm running BitDefender on both my machines and have done for over a month now, no viruses, no trojans, and i browse dangerous websites all the time, that's the real test of an anti-virus, people can review and review, but you cannot trust an AV, until you test it yourself, which is a dangerous business if you don't keep your important data on a remote location

My question is, has anyone on here have any experience with Bitdefender them selves?

I would love to hear their opinions on the product, because i've yet to hear a negitive word said against it

Also, if someone could pm me some virus infected websites i can visit to test the anti-virus more, that would be great

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I use their on-lilne scanning (which is free) often. Its a top notch scan from what I've seen. Often times, it will detect items that Norton (most of the time) or McAfee (sometimes) missed.

I've often wondered about their purchased virus scan. Definately keep this thread updated and I may go pick it up.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    My question is, has anyone on here have any experience with Bitdefender them selves?
    Yes, I have Bitdefender 8 on one of my PC's. It's fast and doesn't slow the system down. Lots of people who regularly visit the Security Forums use BD 8 for main defense or use BD 7 Free as a backup scanner.

Lately BD has come out with lots of definitions, seems like they're catching up with KAV in that respect.

My ISP uses BullGuard (BD AV engine) for all its email and I've never had a virus through the mail

IMHO here's the two best Free online scanners (use IE) Bitdefender and Kaspersky, say bye bye to Panda & HouseCalls

hrm.. i might have to check that out. sounds promising.

Titanium Member
    They say Bitdefender pro is a rebranded Kaspersky (with less options than KAV itself). I 'm wondering about Bitdefender 8? - http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...light=defender

eScan (kaspersky) free makes a good on demand scanner - already been discussed here though.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 11th, 2005 at 16:15 PM.

I have Bitdefender Pro 8 on one machine, originally it was a bit rubbish but through the updates has got around to being perfectly usable - except for the cookie control part of the FW which I had to turn off.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

This review on BitDefender pro is what put me off paying the extra $15:

pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1733402,00.asp

I already have a great software firewall anyway, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro v5.5

Ahhhh, just bumped into my first problem with Bitdefender v8.0, it doesn't support Windows Server 2003!

What a real shame, i'm currently searching their website to see if they have a version that is capatible or whether there is going to be one

i have tried BitDefender 8 Standard and my only problem is the "shield" that runs in the backround makes everything load really slow. Firefox barley loads when it is running in the backround. The interface is nice and they got lots of virus defs but it slows down my comp too much. Kaspersky personal 5 never did this but it has a conflict with one of my programs. I know my comp is getting old but it should be able to run antivirus. P4 1.6ghz 512mb ddr2100 winxp pro

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I don't know why Bitdefender would be slowing your PC down, did you have Resident Shield set to scan archives ? that will slow things down....

I have BD running on one of my old systems (850mhz Duron & 256mb ram) and it runs pretty zippy compaired to Kaspersky.

Quote Originally Posted by neoLeech
    i have tried BitDefender 8 Standard and my only problem is the "shield" that runs in the backround makes everything load really slow. Firefox barley loads when it is running in the backround. The interface is nice and they got lots of virus defs but it slows down my comp too much. Kaspersky personal 5 never did this but it has a conflict with one of my programs. I know my comp is getting old but it should be able to run antivirus. P4 1.6ghz 512mb ddr2100 winxp pro
    I've installed and ran BitDefender 8 Standard on about 5 seperate pc's all running Windows XP, and i've never encountered this problem.

I suspect your O.S. to be at fault.