Thread: Using 1 keystroke to cause and end underlining, Bold and italics

Using 1 keystroke to cause and end underlining, Bold and italics

I realize this can be done with an "anykey" keyboard - it has some 7-10 or special keys for creating a macro. But I don't want to give up my perfect-size-for-my-space keyboard (11.25" x 5.5") and it lacks those keys.

But I use B, U and I a lot and it's a bit of a bother (especially daily) to have to use the mouse to bold, italicize or underline and then use it again to turn those functions off.

So I was wondering this: is there some way I could arrange for unused keys (like most of the F keys) or a few others I never use (Home, Pg Up, Pg Dn, End, the up and down arrow keys etc.) to turn those 3 functions ON and OFF...some program perhaps. Then I'd just hit that key and what I typed would come out B, I or U. The Hell with the mouse.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    you could write a VBA code that when you type ['b]some text[/'b] it will automagically make it bold ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi wumply

i use hotkeys however i do not know how to make it do what you want. I'/ sure you can figure it out. Sorry I can't help.

HotKeyz

Why are so many of my HotKeyz users fanatic about being more productive and efficient making their keyboard really work for them? HotKeyz is so easy to use, practical and just plain "you can't work on a PC without it!".

Main Features:

Categorize all your hotkeys!
    HotKeyz assigns icons to every hotkey
    Paste text into any edit box
    Paste the Date, Time or Internet Time with / without additional text into any edit box
    Launch program files, folders, documents, pictures, MP3's or playlists
    Launch your web browser and surf to a site
    Launch all windows in a Normal, Minimized, Maximized or Hidden state
    Enable or disable an execute confirmation for specific hotkeys
    Close, minimize, maximize, restore and HIDE active windows on your desktop
    Right click on the tray icon or press a hotkey to UNHIDE hidden windows
    Open the Recycle Bin, Control Panel, My Computer, Task Manager
    Shutdown, Logoff, Power Off or Reboot your computer
    Connect and disconnect your Internet Dial-up
    Hide HotKeyz in the system tray
    The HotKeyz tray icon changes to indicate a hotkey being executed
    Remote control Winamp
    Launch your default e-mail to compose a new email
    Start your windows screen saver
    Hide your Taskbar or Desktop and show them
    Remap most of the keyboard keys to different keys
    Record and playback macros
    Automatically login into your favourite website or program using a hotkey
    Countdown Timer
    HotKeyz supports the WIN, CTRL, ALT & SHIFT modifier keys and most other keyboard keys
    Print preview and then print all your hotkeys
    FREE!!!

http://www.skynergy.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Cash; Very cool idea--why didn't I think of it! But I know nothing about ANY programming!!

Egghead: So can I, with hotkeyz, use almost any key as a hotkey? And how do you tell the program that you're ready to switch to the hotkeys from normal keyboard use?

Cash...

I was thinking...would not the VB lcode that allows B, I and U to be turned on and off with typing and with text inbetween be available for download and install? It would make so much sense! I mean obviously somebody has already written the code.

Any ideas on this...is it possible to get the downloadable program with that code and if so, where would you suggest I look for such? Or am I dreaming?

Well I havent seen it in my travels... however, you could search codeproject.com or sourceforge.net and other similar opensource type places... else do google search for VBA code for macros in office or WORD...

or, you could post a request and the idea to the one of those coding places, then one developer might be able to whip it up for you in no time

cheers.

EDIT: Found the answer to your dreams Wumply... u owe some lacy underwear!!

when you type in office2003 word... enter some *text*... this should automagically make text bold and you can _italic_ too

Not sure with different versions of word
    Last edited by cash_site; May 13th, 2005 at 03:57 AM.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Platinum+ Member
    It works with Office XP too...
    Cash, you're a genius! Would you like an orangutan with that lace?

NUTS. My Word is 2002 and it does not understand *text* and _text_ the way I hoped it would. I got 2002 in Feb. '04 because I wanted the delightful little kitten (the office assistant). In Feb 04 Word 2003 was just too expensive so I found a 2002 Version of Word (which also had the cute little kitten) in an OEM Version of Microsoft Works Suite 2003--for $34.

But a neat find, Cash. For a minute or two there you gave me hope!!!

wumply

Platinum+ Member
    You could always use 2 keys to do that in Word 2002 -
    CTRL+B
    CTRL+I
    CTRL+U

CTRL+SHIFT+W (Underline words but not spaces) (Dont know if it works in 2k2)
    Last edited by tarun; May 15th, 2005 at 05:06 AM.

Well, that solves my problem, Tarun, beautifully. Thanks. At least it does for Word, which is more than half the battle. Eudora's the other half--doubt it will work there.

By the way, Ctrl + shift + W does work in Word 2002 to underline words but not spaces.

Hey! Just tried Ctrl + B, Ctrl + I and Ctrl + U before and after the text in Eudora--and it worked! Ctrl + shift + W, however, did not.

Wumply there is still hope... i have office 2000 installed (older than yours) and the *text* worked...

You might have to go to tools->AutoCorrect->AutoFormat as you type Tab and select *bold* replace with real format

Thx Tarun, as long as the orangatun is a 6" blonde with long legs to wrap around twice she can come with lace or other suit

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Cash...

Hope Springs eternal in the human breast! It worked as you said after I went and checked the box *Bold* and _italic_ with real formatting.

Thanks and Cheers!

So I wonder what the programmers had against underlining?
    D

I think underlining is an extra printing process, i.e. two things to print instead of a slightly different font from Bold to Italic etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---