Thread: Why isn't there a choice "Install new version"

Why isn't there a choice "Install new version"

Today I learned there was a more recent version of a program I had. I downloaded it. I put it in Program Files (it's exe)

I double click it and it begins the install. The Install window appears and I am told to wait while the Windows installer is being configured.

Then I get a new screen: "Welcome: Repair or Remove the Program." But I only want to replace (or overwrite) the program with the latest version. I'm not given that choice--at least not directly. I'm given 2 choices: 1. Repair: Reinstall all program features installed by the previous setup. 2. Remove: Remove all installed features.

Is there any logic to this on the part of the programmers? Am I missing the boat?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Today I learned there was a more recent version of a program I had. I downloaded it. I put it in Program Files (it's exe)

I double click it and it begins the install. The Install window appears and I am told to wait while the Windows installer is being configured.

Then I get a new screen: "Welcome: Repair or Remove the Program." But I only want to replace (or overwrite) the program with the latest version. I'm not given that choice--at least not directly. I'm given 2 choices: 1. Repair: Reinstall all program features installed by the previous setup. 2. Remove: Remove all installed features.

Is there any logic to this on the part of the programmers? Am I missing the boat?
    They may want you to reinstall simply because the newer version is no longer compatible with the previous. It may work, but there might be bugs and stuff in updating rather than reinstalling.

That's one reason I can think of.