May 17th, 2005, 19:18 PM
Playstation 3 Unveiled!
At a press conference held in Los Angeles Sony Computer Entertainment revealed the outline of its PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system, incorporating the world's most advanced Cell processor with super computer like power: The PS3 will be fully "backward compatible," playing all existing PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games. It will come equipped with a Blu-Ray DVD drive and support the sharpest format for HDTV, 1080p. The
PS3 is due for launch in the spring of 2006.
PS3 combines state-of-the-art technologies featuring Cell, a processor jointly developed by IBM, Sony Group and Toshiba Corporation, graphics processor (RSX) co-developed by NVIDIA Corporation and SCEI, and XDR memory developed by Rambus Inc. It also adopts BD-ROM (Blu-ray Disc ROM) with maximum storage capacity of 54 GB (dual layer) , enabling delivery of entertainment content in full high-definition (HD) quality, under a secure environment made possible through the most advanced copyright protection technology. To match the accelerating convergence of digital consumer electronics and computer technology, PS3 supports high quality display in resolution of 1080p(*) as standard, which is far superior to 720p/1080i.
PLAYSTATION 3 Specifications:
- CPU Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 1 VMX vector unit per core 512KB L2 cache 7 x SPE @3.2GHz 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance : 218 GFLOPS
- GPU RSX @550MHz 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
- Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)
- Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
- System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s VRAM 22.4GB/s RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read) SB 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
- System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS
- Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
- I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0) Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1 SD standard/mini x 1 CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
- Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2) Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
- Controller Bluetooth (up to 7) USB2.0 (wired) Wi-Fi (PSP) Network (over IP)
- AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p HDMI HDMI out x 2 Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1 Digital audio DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
- Disc media * read only CD PlayStation CD-ROM PlayStation2 CD-ROM CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW SACD SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc DualDisc (audio side),DualDisc DVD side)
- DVD PlayStation2 DVD-ROM PLAYSTATION3 DVD-ROM DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
- Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION3 BD-ROM BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
May 17th, 2005, 19:38 PM
i still favor Sony over Microsoft and its Xbox.
despite Xbox coming out sooner, i'll likely wait it out for PS3.
that is... unless i get both for some reason.
May 17th, 2005, 20:05 PM
May 17th, 2005, 23:31 PM
i cant wait! It looks so bitch'n. Stupid Microsoft they are releasing the XBOX the same week as the PS3. It is so blatent. Things like that cause me to not like Microsoft.
Sorry if this turns into a Bash Microsoft thread.
May 17th, 2005, 23:50 PM
The PS3 GPU is said to be more powerful than two Nvidia 6800 Ultras, somehow I get the feeling PC users are getting ripped off on GFX cards
May 18th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Agreed FG!! I saw some real-time footage of some PS3 games from the E3 expo... the textures and worlds looking so real and life like!! It will definetly change the gaming experience...
I think PC's need to go a long way to get to console level... however, with 6-12mths before these are released hopefully hardware manfacturers can get some hard-core stuff out!!
Only thing going for PC atm is high-res (1600x1200), but if consoles start outputting 720p or 1080i HDTV... lookout!! I think LCD/Plasma monitors for PC need to lift their game and sell HD-ready sets and reduce the premium thus reducing prices!!
It would make sense for LCD manu's to do that, since they could sell 17"-21" HD LCDs for the console's too... a lot cheaper than trying to get a 42"-55" Mammoth TV
Oh well, time will tell
--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---