Thread: Explanation of non-delivered email message.

Explanation of non-delivered email message.

Here is the message from my ISP...who had no explanation of its meaning unfortunately.

<marcf@buzz3d.com>:
    Connected to 69.89.239.113 but sender was rejected.
    Remote host said: 501 5.7.1 <wumply@metrocast.net>... Sender refused by the DNSBL - AHRBL01: Exceeded invalid user delivery threshold, ID=2507

The message came almost immediately after I clicked "send." for my outgoing email. My email program is Eudora. I re-sent it; same result.

My computer is working just fine re sending and receiving other emails and I have no trouble accessing the net.

MyVisual Route program tells me that connections past Hop 6 are causing packets to be dropped and that connections to HPPT Port 80 are being rejected. This has been the case since Noon.

Is a computer down somewhere, do you suppose? And what specifically does
    "Exceeded invalid user delivery threshold" mean?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

I'll take a stab at this, It basically indicates that your sending mail server ( probably your ISP's mail server) has exceeded the allowed connections trying to deliver mail to non-existent users. For instance if my ISP is Comcast and 100,000 emails come from SBC's mail server to non existent users (This is a common technique for gathering a list of the known good users), Comcast may report the SBC server as a spammer to one of the DNS Blacklists in this case AHRBL. Since the SBC server has now been placed on the blacklist, any other mail server that happens to query the AHRBL will see the SBC entry and reject the message. Hope that is not to jumbled of an explanation.

Badger
    Last edited by 1badger11; May 19th, 2005 at 00:48 AM.

I follow you pretty well and appreciate your info. The address I sent the email to has always worked with no problem over months. It's the address of the program director of a small British Company that produces top quality internet voice-video programs for business. I guess in this case that doesn't matter.

But I've been unable to send my email for 6-8 hours now. What gets done about this...I mean there is sure some counterproductivity in the situation. How is my recipient to know about it and can he do anything to correct it? Are he and I just innocent victims?

Well the first thing that you could probably do is to identify the IP address of your sending e-mail server, most of this can probably be done at the website dnsstuff.com. Use the mx lookup tool to get your ISP's mail server and then armed with that info use spam database lookup tool to see where and how many DNSBL lists they are listed with. You could then contact your ISP with that info and urge them to correct whatever problems they might have if they have not already done it.

Badger

Well, problem was still extant the next day(today, May 19) so called my ISP again. This tech said when I read him the rejection message that the trouble definitely lay at the addressee's end as his (my ISP's) mail server IP began 68...while the mail server IP doing the rejecting began with 69... So I wrote the company this time...not my original recipient... (via a provision on their site where you could post queries) quoting what my ISP tech said. Havent had a response back yet...we will see.

Titanium Member
    I see something similar. BUT - I never mailed anything to any of these people. I don't even know them

Last edited by lynchknot; May 19th, 2005 at 18:43 PM.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I would agree with Badger.

What you would need to do is contact the person you are sending the mail to. not your email provider. It is the receiving server that is denying the incoming mail.

What I would do is call the company and advise them that you are trying to send an email and that it appears that there is a problem and would like to contact their ISP (you may need to go through some hoops and talk with their IT director). Once you get their ISP, then call them and explain to them that you are a valid user trying to send an email and that their server is rejecting it because it thinks its spam.

Honestly, overall, might be easier just to write a letter to the guy and snail mail it

edit
    After reading more on the issue I found this link for you:

DSBL

Some good reading there and might give you somewhere to start. Overall, you're going to be dealing with IT people who apparantly have not secured their mail servers (at your ISP).
    Last edited by Stripe; May 19th, 2005 at 18:34 PM.

Well, all you suggest is basically done. The guy I wanted to contact is on vacation, I discovered, but I was able to contact the company indirectly via one of those set-ups where you type a query to them on their site. I explained the problem and asked that my communication be brought to the attention of the technical people who would be in charge of fixing things. And finished by asking that they would let me know when fixed. As far as my email that didn't get sent, I can send it when he returns from vacation--it was not a critical situation. (The company is in England by the way.) I haven't heard back yet but just sent my communication today.

So thanks for your input, Stripe. I'll visit your DSBL link.

Follow-up. I read the stuff at the DHBL which stated the problem with my ISP. So I called my ISP again, read them the "What do I do about this" paragraph and they told me to email "abuse@metrocast.net" and it would be looked into. So we will see.