Thread: AGP disabled?

AGP disabled?

hey, was using everest last night and noticed it said that AGP was disabled in my computer. display seems fine though.is it in the BIOS that AGP is enabled/disabled?
    computer is a compaq with win98se
    graphics card is an AGP ati card, not sure what type, think 8mb

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You'll need to go into your bios and make sure the "AGP Aperture" is set to 128mb or higher, 64mb would be the lowest I'd go because lower than 64mb has been known to disable AGP even on modern cards. If its set to low on an old card without much memory will be disabled (AGP wise) if it doesn't have enough memory (system or card) for textures.

Of coarse "AGP Aperture" setting will depend on how much system memory you have, if you don't have much then.......oh well.

It could be something else but I'd check AGP Aperture first, also disable "FastWrites" if you have that setting in bios.

[edit]= this only applies if your card is true AGP, if its PCI or onboard video tied to to PCI buss then your stuck
    Last edited by FastGame; May 20th, 2005 at 14:28 PM.

you might also have to install your mobo's chipset drivers.

Also everest tell you what she takes is the problem (like memory or updates) check them out.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Also in bios where you choose the primary graphics,it might be chosen as pci instead of AGP and the info software picks that up.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

thanks for ye're replies.
    the BIOS seems quiet limited in what i can change in it, messed around with it for a bit but with no joy.downloaded the chipset drivers and will install them tonight.hopefully will sort it out.
    cheers