Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi low tone computer won't start

Titanium Member

hi low tone computer won't start

Hello I put on a new heatsink now my computer starts, fan turns but then I get the tone and fan stops. Any clues? Thanks
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 21st, 2005 at 23:41 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Lynch do you have any sotware that limits the fan speed like "Fan Speed" or something like that.It may be set too low.Just a thought.???
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Titanium Member
    Well the other heatsink fan was working. I swapped for a case fan and still get the hi/low

Please Fastgame till me it's not:
    Repeating High/Low - Either the CPU is not seated properly or damaged. May also be due to excess heat. - Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Do you have the new fan hookup to the power header on the MB ? if it doesn't does it have the extra wire that goes to the header so it can sense the fan speed ?
    Last edited by FastGame; May 22nd, 2005 at 00:58 AM.

Titanium Member
    Yes, I know - the yellow wire. If that is all then it looks like the cpu is damaged. Sucks to be me -

Well how in the heck did it get damaged ? did you try putting everything back the way it was ? too much thermo compound maybe ?

I always take the MB out of case when I install HSF or ram....I wonder if you do the same ?

Titanium Member
    ok reseated it and got it to work - sort of. It shuts off thermally. Not sure why heatsink/fan is not doing it's job

You sure HSF is not backwards ? what HSF is it ? you still didn't answer if it works with old HSF........not good too be hot please don't burn up my ex LiL' pet

I could of sent Duron for that.....
    Last edited by FastGame; May 22nd, 2005 at 03:40 AM.

Titanium Member
    no I was wrong it's not hot. When I exit bios (save) it shuts down with that siren. When I start it up there is a message that CPU is not workable. So I underclock it - or 200x10 - make no diff. Temps are good. When going to bios it say 100x6.0 and I can't change it. I loaded fail safe defaults and it still shuts off.

*edit - instead of going to bios I just let it run. The windows logon screen is on. Seems I can't make changes in bios
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 22nd, 2005 at 03:34 AM.

Pull the battery out and jump the CMOS to reset everything, then start over with bios settings.....

edit: Turn power off first then hit start button to discharge the caps....
    Last edited by FastGame; May 22nd, 2005 at 03:40 AM.

Titanium Member
    jump the CMOS
    what?

what?
    I know it sounds strange but its in that thing called MANUAL, if your eyes work

Titanium Member
    I doesn't say anything about the battery just move th jumpers for a few seconds

Do what I said and read the manual to see where the jumper is.

Turn off power> hit start button> pull battery> move jumper pin> move jumper pin back> put battery back> turn power back on.

If that goesn't work send it back to me, I'll get it going then epoxy everything so you can't mess with it

Titanium Member
    Come on Fastgame, i'm not entirely clueless - please don't treat me like that. I just built my nephew's computer today while working on mine - installed windows and it's fine

What do you mean "mess with it"? I installed a new heatsink/fan - that is all.

BTW, this didn't work. It was saving in bios then "click" and alarm.

Question: when power cycling to drain caps - how do the jumpers recognize the switch with no residual current?

*hope it's not this:
    sounds like a toasted bios, I went through similar problems with my nf7-s 2.0 ... Everything was working great, changed a couple of settings in the bios ... restarted and bam .. siren, after that .. nothing

a little research showed that many people had the same problem,, the bios on the nf7 seems highly unstable ....

also the other jumpers are to do with keyboard power/usb mouse 5v function .. so wont help (these arent in the manual btw)

try a hotswap if you have another chip lying around ... or try badflash.com ..

sorry to give bad news... hopefully someone else will prove me wrong
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 22nd, 2005 at 04:29 AM.