Thread: teac not playing dvd!!!!!

Angry teac not playing dvd!!!!!

i have an alienware with a dvd/cd-rw combo drive,model teac dw-224e!lately i tried playing some movies on dvd,and......nothing!!!doesn t work!!disc is spinning,i get to the main menu(of the movie)and the the player freezes(windvd,power dvd,dvd x pro,interactual,etc...i tried so many!!),the disc is still spinning like crazy,and that's about all !!!cannot play the movies!!the drive is reading and writting cd's without a problem,the only problem is playing the dvd's!and no,it's got nothing to do with the regions or zone encoding!can anyone help me please?!!!
    i tried creating an image of the disc,it's not working also!it's like winxp is taking my drive as a plain cd-rom!!!
    i had my laptop for 2 years,and never had this problem before!
    any help ,please!!!thank you very much!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried any of the solutions here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

the troubleshooter!!!!!thanks but it's a little more than that!that's why im posting here!!i m looking for some pro advice,not just some microsoft blah,blah,blah!!thanks tough!!
    like i said,the weird thing is this:dvd x pro ,opens the movies until the menu,then when i hit play it freezes and the disc keep spinning,and spinning.......! anyone has any ideea wtf is going on ?thanks!

Did you try updating the firmware on the drive?

Alienware typically offers exceptional technical support. Even if your laptop is no longer under warranty they should be able to assist in finding out what's going on. There maybe a known defect with your drive.

If all else fails, format/reinstall windows to rule out a software issue. If the issue presists this maybe a sign of your drive going bad.

i m out off warranty,so,forget about support from alienware!tried allready!they kinda:"sure,we help,but pay for an extended warranty,blah,blah!"
    about firmware update,i couldn t find nothing,nowhere!just hope your not right about the drive going bad!im still waiting,maybe something will come up!dont wanna reinstall win yet!it s too much trouble !thanks anyway!any other ideea??

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Is this problem with new DVD's or backup's ?

new dvd s!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well if you've tried all the things in the link Reverend gave then maybe try what Hawkers suggest, flash firmware.

If your sure Win XP is fine and you didn't install something (chipset drivers, virtual drives, burning software....) that may be causing a conflict, possible the drive is going bad.