Thread: Mouse Interference

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Mouse Interference

I have an MX1000, and my wife has a Logitech Cordless combo mouse and Keyboard.

Tonight, she and I were on our PCs at the same time. They sit side by side on separate PC desktops. Well whenever she moved her mouse it would lock up my MX1000... That was really weird.. I couldn't figure out how to change it so I just gave her a wired Mx510 mouse instead.. Problem solved but I am really curious as to why the two wireless mice were crossing paths???

Hawkers thanks for that. I will try some of the suggestions such as pressing the connect buttons and so on.

This is called "Cross talk" and is characterized by one cordless device controlling the cursor or keyboard input of another device connected to a different computer. To avoid possible interference, try to keep the distance between systems at least 10 feet. Also, moving the mouse closer or further away to the receiver can also improve transmission and performance. If the above fails, try pressing and holding the "Connect" button on the receiver for 10 seconds. This will reset the receiver's connection information and allow you to do a first time connection with the receiver and mouse or keyboard. After holding the Connect button for 10 seconds, then press the Connect/Channel button on the bottom of the mouse to synchronize it with the receiver. If you have a cordless keyboard instead of, or in addition to, a cordless mouse, press the "Connect" button of the receiver again, then press the "Connect/Channel" button on the Keyboard. Perform these same steps on any other Logitech cordless devices in the area that are experiencing cross talk. Another step that can be tried is to remove the batteries for 15 minutes. Then re-insert them and boot the computer up. It is important that during this time, you do not press the connect button on the receiver or keyboard of the other cordless desktop system.
    Posted the solution here just in case that URL gets changed or becomes defunct.

I should think that mice should operate like cordless phones, operating on separate channels so that interference or "crosstalk" is minimized.

Per the distance solution, I can't move the mice 10 feet apart, because the room that they are in is less than 10 feet in either direction.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Per the distance solution, I can't move the mice 10 feet apart, because the room that they are in is less than 10 feet in either direction.
    Don't worry none BB, the MX 510 she's now using is a better mouse than what she was using

Titanium Member
    Maybe her mouse is in heat. It drives all the male mice crazy. Try more distance or put up some metal shielding. A piece of sheet metal a little larger than a book ought to do it.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 24th, 2005 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Maybe her mouse is in heat. It drives all the male mice crazy. Try more distance or put up some metal shielding. A piece of sheet metal a little larger than a book ought to do it.
    Now that is an idea i never consider... a horny mouse...

I could build some sort of box with an open end out of sheet metal.. it would look awful but it would work. I think I'll just leave the corded mouse for her... hehehe

Titanium Member
    Yeah, keep her on a short leash