Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: volcano 11 suckzorz

Titanium Member

volcano 11 is ok

Volcano 11 sucks (edit - without enough thermal paste) and is too loud! I don't know. Maybe I'll try remounting with new ASilver paste. If I don't crank up the fan to "CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER THE JET ENGINE?" Speeds, I get that occasional post siren and computer won't start unless I shut down powersupply and restart with bios. At this rate it's 46c - CPU only 20-59% - case temp is 27c - at a more reasonable sound level (4000rpm) it's 50c at idle with case at 30c.

I'm still getting occasional blue screens at this setting:

Last edited by lynchknot; May 24th, 2005 at 19:11 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    You have an overclocked system Lynch,I don't think your cpu is overheated at all.My XP 2800+ Barton runs from 39 to 48,low to high load overclocked to approx 2150.And that's with a Zalman flower cooler.65 might be too hot but 50 is cool.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    at a more reasonable sound level (4000rpm) it's 50c at idle with case at 30c.
    Well 50c @ idle is way too high IMHO, thing must be cooking under full load

Run Prime95 or some CPU benchmark and tell us what the full load temp is.

Also you can't trust the temp readings....don't believe me ? flash the bios to another version and watch the temps change

Pull the CPU and in the center of the socket you'll see a little probe sticking up...raise it a very slight bit too get a better temp reading. Lower it and your MB won't shut down till the CPU fries

Titanium Member
    I left my computer on last night and this morning it was shut off with that damn siren going. I'm running the computer right now (been 5 minutes) case is 23c and CPU is 48 - fan at max.

Well 50c @ idle is way too high IMHO, thing must be cooking under full load
    - it pretty much stays at 50 all the time - load or no load

Titanium Member
    ok - I believe the trick is to coat the cpu with "paint" - thin but enough to coat the cpu so that you won't see any copper color. I'm looking at bios temp now and it's only 35c.
    I forgot a couple of settings so if you don't mind:

1. CPU FSB/Dram ratio - I have it on auto
    2. Memory timings - I have it set on SPD - *edit - oh yeah, 11,3,3,3.
    3. Core voltage is 1.65 temp is now 40c with fan at 4000rpm
    4. Other setting are default - Aperture size? Spread spectrum? thermal throttling? Fast write capability?

Thank you.

Wow, what a huge difference that made! a whole 10 degree difference (I also raised sensor)- edit - got a blue screen - I raised voltage to 1.66 temp is now 40c with fan at 4000rpm - MBM set to read every 1 second

Why does Ultra advertise as "overclocking" when it does not!

# Ultra Overclocking Memory offers Compatibility, Reliability and Speed because it has been rigorously tested to comply with our discriminating standards. Exhaustive triple testing ensures a quality product.
    # No guessing games, no surprises—Ultra Overclocking Memory offers 100% compatibility, guaranteed.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 24th, 2005 at 19:19 PM.

Titanium Member
    Update (post was getting long so I started a new one)

Getting a bunch of blue screens after logging in. System seems to be degrading even though temps are cool. Had to drop down to 200x11 and had to raise the voltage

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I just installed a XP3200+ CPU in cousin's computer, used the 'new' Artic Ceramic Paste... coated the full die and spread with card... then rubbed small amount in bottom of Volcano 11 HSF like LK's and idle ~ 42oC with max ~ 50oC... then OCd to PR3500+ idle ~ 45 with max just tipping 50oC

Didnt we have a good guide on applying Thermo paste to CPU??

LK, what is your chip originally ie XP 2800+ ?? to get 11x200 or 11.5x200 is pretty damn good!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    I only have arctic silver 3. Temps seem to be going up now though - though it is warmer in the room the difference between case and CPU is increasing. Case temp is 30c with CPU at 49c fan is relatively quiet at 3400rpm. (actually, better than is was at 23c and CPU is 48) If I blast it (5600+rpm and can't hear myself think) , it will only drop to 45c.

LK, what is your chip originally ie XP 2800+ ?? to get 11x200 or 11.5x200 is pretty damn good!
    - yeah but it was running good, and cool at 208x11.5. You get what you pay for in memory. Fastgame was getting 220x11.5 - something like that.

I'm very happy with this though. It's just that this OCing is addicting - like most "enthusiast" phreaks, you want to squeeze every bit of performance out of everything. I find myself wanting to hotrod my damn lawnmower.
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 25th, 2005 at 00:32 AM.

Do not forget about the memory voltage and timings. When you are over clocking to the extreme side you need to adjust those as well. The reason I know is it got me for awhile I had to up my memory voltage to 2.2v and set the timings manually to the specks on the memory which in my case is 4-4-4-8, it was 5-4--4-15 and that just did not work.

It's an XP Moble 2400, was my old one before I went A64. I ran it at 11.5x220=2530mhz on Crucial Ballistix PC3200, that was on the edge for air cooling.

Why does Ultra advertise as "overclocking" when it does not!
    LK go back and read the ad, it's not talking about your memory and the OC stuff cost more.

Do not forget about the memory voltage and timings. When you are over clocking to the extreme side you need to adjust those as well
    yep, and if you don't have a strong steady power supply then all is for not....

LK everything was fine till you installed Omega drivers...LoL oh and that HSF

Titanium Member
    Spread Spectrum can also cause problems with overclocked systems, especially those that have been taken to extremes. The slight modulation of frequency may cause the processor or any other overclocked components of the system to fail, leading to very predictable consequences. Of course, this depends on the amount of modulation, the extent of overclocking and other factors like temperature variation, etc... As such, the problem may not readily manifest itself instantly.

Therefore, it is recommended that you disable this feature if you are overclocking your system. The risk of crashing your system isn't worth the reduction in EMI.
    Omega drivers? It's always had Omega drivers - just the older version

1. CPU FSB/Dram ratio - I have it on auto
    2. Memory timings - I have it set on SPD - *edit - oh yeah, 11,3,3,3.
    3. Core voltage is 1.65 temp is now 40c with fan at 4000rpm
    4. Other setting are default - Aperture size? Spread spectrum? thermal throttling? Fast write capability?

Well that sucks. For 9 dollars more I could have had better memory: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&Sku=ULT30215
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 25th, 2005 at 03:41 AM.

Well that sucks. For 9 dollars more I could have had better memory: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...29&Sku=ULT30215
    No because thats the memory you have so you saved $9 the ad is misleading...under "SUBCATEGORIES" is DDR (what you have) and then there's Overclocking DDR...here's the Ultra OC memory http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...544684&CatId=0 and here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1043&CatId=155

You need too really know the products when you buy from Tiger, they ripped me on a CPU once so from now on I buy from newegg.

The price you paid for that ram is good, just doesn't OC

Titanium Member
    Well that's not the ram I bought because this one shows
    Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL2.5 the one I bought said cl3

New egg is better with shipping though. They use fedx which is usually much cheaper. Another thing about UPS is they will just leave the box outside - anyone can steal it. Fedx has you sign for it.

That was a good deal? Look at this!!! (only 256 though)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8897&CatId=147
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 25th, 2005 at 05:52 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot

you want to squeeze every bit of performance out of everything. I find myself wanting to hotrod my damn lawnmower.
    it's not LK after all but Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor in disquise.....lol

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    THIS IS A GREAT TIME FOR ME TO POINT OUT THAT MY OLD P4 2.6 GHZ OVERCLOCKED TO 3.25 GHZ AND 1000 FSB USING STOCK HEATSINK AND FAN AND NO EXTRA MEASURES. COMPUTER WAS COMPLETLY STOCK. :d

NO BLUE SCREENS AND NEVER WENT OVER 34

BACK TO THREAD

:P
    ------------------------------------------------------------