Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wi-fi

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

wi-fi

Anyone know anything about wireless connectivity?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Titanium Member
    I do. Here: Wi-Fi - A logo from the Wi-Fi Alliance that certifies that Ethernet devices comply with the IEEE 802.11 wireless standard. In the early 2000s, Wi-Fi/802.11 became widely used

Thanks, but that much, I know. What I don't know is: If the sgnal strength is listed as strong, why do I keep getting "Limited or no Connectivity"? And all those dropped connections?

And why does the list of networks in range keep changing if I haven't moved?

You know, the usual crap that'll turn your hair white.
    Last edited by piaqt; May 30th, 2005 at 01:11 AM.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Signal strength and signal quality are different things. Good signal strength means that the reciever can get the signal easily, good quality means it is a clean signal. A high strength signal can still be carrying lots of interference or can be subdued due to your neighbours broadcasting on the same channel. Plus of course other devices use the same band of frequencies and can cause interference.

Available networks change as people turn on their equipment or the weather changes and the signal goes stronger or weaker from different directions.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

? clean signal?

love, piaqt

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Portable telephones and microwave ovens typically use 2.4 ghz as does your wireless router. These can all decrease your signal. Even wireless keyboards and mice can lose signal due to those devices as well as many more.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I found out that a cd can reflect the signal away from a reciever.So I cleaned up the areas around my computers.Also turned my antenna until a signal was stable.If you keep having trouble connecting as I have in the past,you should flash the firmware on your router and update the drivers on the wireless adapter.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

What router? I have a wi-fi cardbus card. Strictly client, not server. And yes, moving my cell phone away from the laptop did help. I think. Is there anything that will improve signal quality/reduce dropped connections?

love, piaqt

Exactly what are you connecting to Luv?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Exactly what are you connecting to Luv?
    Was going to ask that.Are you stealing your neighbors WiFi signal?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I'm connecting to available wireless networks, sweetie. And "im stealing nothing. My neighbors don't have computers, much less wi-fi.

love, piaqt

Well...do you know what networks they are? The reason I'm asking...

Typically when someone is connecting to a wireless setup, it's because they have a broadband internet connection via DSL or Cable, and have their modem connected to a wireless router, Gateway etc. Now if you are connecting to Wireless DSL, that's a different story, but who or what is providing the internet connection to your wireless system?

More times than not if you are just connecting to a connection that is available when you "View Available Networks", it's because a neighbor or local business has a wireless setup that is "broadcasting". This is good for you st00pid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    if you are just connecting to a connection that is available when you "View Available Networks", it's because a neighbor or local business has a wireless setup that is "broadcasting".
    That's exactly what I'm doing. I live near Columbia U., and there are a lot of public hotspots in the nabe.

love, piaqt

ok, then depending on the strength of those signals, all the things between you and them that can interfere with radio signals, the weather, the composition of your building...NOW I understand why you get dropped.

How close is the closest one?

Not a clue. A few blocks? 1/4 mile?

love, piaqt