Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win xp hanging

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried the other HDD yet?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by Timmy
    Ok try and answer these questions.

I defrag often. Not sure how to scandisk in xp.

All my drivers are up to date. Except for my gfx card ones cause the new ones cause problems. The hang is a complete hang or freeze up or whatever its called. ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, mouse is frozen, only think that works is to reset. I already have virtual machine.

As far as i am aware the cpu fan is fine. And i recently put in a new one and had this problem b4 with the previous fan.
    is mb made by via?

need info on your setup
    this could be a simple irq conflict
    can you consistantly get it to freeze
    or it does it randomly?

try this
    remove pc cards except for graphics
    check the bios and disable any vga, modem usb ethernet..etc
    boot to windows and try to freeze it
    if no freeze enable sound then try again
    this is a standard troubleshoot and should guide you to the problem

everything must be suspect including usb support

full freezes are usually heat related but i have also witnessed a bad videocard that crapped a system
    irq conflicts can freeze your pc
    post info on your mb

we can help

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Besides checking your HD out, the only time I have had a system hanging, was due to a Ram problem. Some types of ram just dont seem to work well together. For example I had 512mb (pc2700)crucial installed in my system. I then added a 256mb stick of generic ram(pc2700). The problem would only occur after running my system for a while and then rebooting it, on the reboot it would take forever to get back to the desktop. I found that the problem wasnt with the generic ram but the types of ram sticks that I had put together. My Crucial was a double sided stick of ram, compared to the single sided generic that I had installed. After trying two different sticks of single sided ram with the crucial, I came to the conclussion that I should try another stick of double sided ram. It did the job know problems, it seems that once the ram heated the single sided ram couldnt cope, and would lag my system. So try using the same ram sticks in your pc to see if that could be causing the problem...get some ram coolers too they do make a difference in your system
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules