Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOD32 @ AV-Comparatives.org

Titanium Member

NOD32 @ AV-Comparatives.org

it was inevitable, which is one reason I went back (the other being less resource usage). NOD32 is now #1 in ITW AND zoo samples*: http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2005_05.php NOD32 downright "smoked" the entire field. However, failed at script viruses.

* Retrospective/ProActive Test
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 31st, 2005 at 21:03 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    it was inevitable, which is one reason I went back (the other being less resource usage). NOD32 is now #1 in ITW AND zoo samples*:
    Is that so ? its a good thing I know what the " Retrospective/ProActive Test" really means....NOD32 isn't #1 and it still suffers in its ability to remove some virus.

The used programs/updates are 3 month old due the design of the retrospective test. This is a way to determine the proactive detection capability of the various scan engines.
    Guess if you don't want too update your AV then NOD32 is the ticket, if you keep your AV updated then Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee VirusScan, F-Prot Anti-Virus, KAV Personal, turn your #1 into a 5th place also ran.....

Nice try LK

Titanium Member
    They tested NOD32 2.12.3 - I'm using NOD32 2.50.19 which was the new beta so blah!

BTW, I did say retrospective didn't I? Of which NOD32 did blow away the field. This is a test of heuristics which NOD excels. Only 3 AV's got the "Advanced+" rating for retro: NOD32, Kaspersky, and
    Bit defender - so how is NOD in fifth?

Those tables show the levels reached by the various products in our anti-virus comparatives. The levels are set for each test by the tester. Products that got the "standard"-level can be understood as products that based on our tests have a good on-demand detection rate of zoo-samples, "advanced" a very good on-demand detection rate and "advanced+" an excellent on-demand detection rate of zoo-samples. Such a classification was also set to the retrospective tests.

Remove? It won't let me get them in the first place!

Please don't get the wrong perception. I could care less what AV anyone uses. NOD doesn't pay me. I'm only reporting what I use and MY experiences. Also, I did say, ". However, failed at script viruses" - so please relax, I'm not a NOD32 salesman.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 1st, 2005 at 03:38 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    so please relax, I'm not a NOD32 salesman.
    I'm very relaxed, I wasn't accusing you nor trying to start anything....
    BTW, I did say retrospective didn't I? Of which NOD32 did blow away the field. This is a test of heuristics which NOD excels. Only 3 AV's got the "Advanced+" rating for retro: NOD32, Kaspersky, and
    Bit defender - so how is NOD in fifth?
    notice how I waited for your edit

The reason I posted was because TZ has many visitors who may not undrestand what that test means, heck even at the security forums some are confused. Not everyone here is an expert and many come looking for answers or advice without ever posting (they read). In those cases some might miss the '*': after "NOD32 is now #1 in ITW AND zoo samples*:" at not relate it to the '*'* Retrospective/ProActive Test.

Some of my friends visit TZ, after your post they took it as "NOD32 smokes every AV and now is #1 in ITW & Zoo virus detection" they asked me if their AV was junk and should they change, they didn't understand what that test meant.......

NOD32 has the best Heuristics and if your AV isn't updated or new threats are out where definitions aren't avalible yet, NOD32 provides the best % wise protection. It's certainly one of the better AV's!

"so how is NOD in fifth?" its in my
    if you keep your AV updated then Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee VirusScan, F-Prot Anti-Virus, KAV Personal, turn your #1 into a 5th place also ran.....

Titanium Member
    and you also know how insignificant 95% - 99% is. Relatively negligible. good heuristics is important nowadays as zero day viruses are on the way.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 1st, 2005 at 18:17 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    So... LynchKnot... where can I buy NOD32... how much do you charge, or better to buy from CompUSA?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    for you. Only 199.00 for a lifetime license -

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    for you. Only 199.00 for a lifetime license -
    Cool, do I make the cheque out to:

LK NOD32 FANBOI

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    yeah but don't hold me on it. If something comes along that runs better that NOD (all things considered), I'm on it.

NOD32 - I like it.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Out of last 5 things I removed from customers computers it misses 3 - they are really not viruses as such but there are things that get them. For pure detection (and therefore prevention) it is impossible to beat Bitdefender and Kaspersky Antivirus. Antivir it should be noted is available in a free version so is considerably cheaper than the others and has a VG detection rate except for Boot Sector virii for which I find it useless - but how often do you see one of those nowadays.
    Last edited by Curio; September 26th, 2006 at 22:10 PM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    different strokes for different folks.....I tried NOD....and in my opinion...it sucked.....after three attempts at getting it installed....blocked my internet connection each time??????....I threw it in the trash....I now use and am extremely satisfied with trend micro(pc-cillin).....their package included not only AV but also a very effective firewall along with all the other necessary tools for spyware etc....for those of you who remember the free system check called "House Call" which scanned your system, this is the next generation....not saying you should use it, just stating info.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Out of last 5 things I removed from customers computers it misses 3 - they are really not viruses as such but there are things that get them. For pure detection (and therefore prevention) it is impossible to beat Bitdefender and Kaspersky Antivirus. Antivir it should be noted is available in a free version so is considerably cheaper than the others and has a VG detection rate except for Boot Sector virii for which I find it useless - but how often do you see one of those nowadays.
    do you know about virus total? There have been a lot of definition updates. Perhaps those are included now.

Don't worry lots of things don't detect them and those tests were run on the day - those engines are kept updated (www.jotti.org). I like NOD32 as a general rule it is fast and efficient but if you want to go surfing in the naughtynet it could be a little lightweight. I could post URLs which contain bad downloads but not everyone knows how to handle them. When I get some more naughty files I will give VT a spin - it won't be long.

Not detecting Nail.exe is a bit slow though - it's not new and if you google it I am sure it will show up hundreds of times.

4 more subjects today all wild NOD32 = 0.