Thread: How are email pasted-inl images transmitted as compared to attached images?

How are email pasted-inl images transmitted as compared to attached images?

I've never fully grasped the differences--and with broadband I suspect the time of transmission difference is minor, especially if, say, your image is a 60 kb file.

But in the following instance, what accounts for the great difference I noticed? Would someone also explain just how the two processes of transmission differ as well

A friend is using dial-up. We pasted this 60 kb image into his email and it got sent off to the addressee within seconds.

Then he (we) attached the same picture to a new email and sent that off to the same addressee. This time it took considerably longer for the email to get sent.

In both instances there was no text.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

When you paste an image, it's just like linking to the image. It is already hosted on some server, so you don't need to upload it all over again.

But when you attach the image, you're uploading it into the e-mail and sending the whole thing. Hope this made sense

Hotmail...I screwed up. I was watching the wrong progress bar (the Norton AV scanner bar) My email program has a progress bar when I click "send". I just now sent the same 1.55 mb image file to my son in NJ (attached and then pasted in--2 emails.) Both took 5 (timed) seconds--that is the time the email bar took to fill. I've broadband; my friend had dial-up. Anyway, I'm not even sure if one can judge how long an email takes to get sent by watching the email program progress bar. In fact I doubt it. But thanks for responding. wumply.

I thought you were asking why attaching an image takes a long time on dial-up. Nevermind!

Hi again, Hotmale:

I came across this correspondence today when I was browsing Techzonez and I reread your 17:13 PM post of 6/14/05. And realized I didn't understand as well as I thought.

So if I get an email with pasted-in images, how does it work? The image I see is NOT in the email but on a server? And so it is that when someone pasted that image into an email, it didn't actually get pasted in but rather just a link to the image got added to the email. And then when I download it or open it, a message goes to that link and back and the picture comes back and appear pasted in? Is that how it works?

But what if I scan a picture I took with my camera into my computer and then paste it into an outgoing email and click "send". Now there's no link. ???

1) If you paste into a client like Outlook Express, it will be attached automatically. So it will take some time to upload if the image is big.

2) But if you paste into a web-based e-mail composer like Hotmail, the image has to be hosted by somewhere like ImageShack so it can be hotlinked. This wouldn't take time even if the image is a very big one.

I forgot to mention this in the previous post.
    Last edited by hotmale; August 20th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.