Thread: wierd problem....need help

wierd problem....need help

ok i have a very weird problem with Windows XP, atleast im pretty sure its windows and not my computer itself. ok here goes: when i shut down windows xp its fine and when i start up windows xp it's fine as well..but my computer turns itself on unexpectedly from time to time. Just recently I was on the computer and shut it down for the night...and all was fine...but at some odd hour in the morning i found it on and in hibernation. I turn it on and it says 1 user is logged on and 1 program is running.

i went to microsoft support page and they dont have anything on this specific problem. It may have something to do with my Thrustmaster USB gamepad i use but i'm not sure. i plug it in when WinXp is on and unplug it just before i shut down the computer. If you guys have any idea whats going on Please tell me, thanks.
    FeeL tHe eFFeX

Check your CMOS settings to see if "wake on Lan" is enabled, have you networked this computer at all. If you have a Network Interface Card (NIC card) it is still receiving power, and keeps listening on the network for a 'magic' packet to arrive. Even after you have shutdown the pc. This can turn on and log into your network if it is configured to do so.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to Techzonez.
    Some questions to start with.

You say when it reboots there is one program running,what is that program?

To determine whether it could possibly be your gamepad,does it still randomly boot itself if you leave the gamepad plugged in?

Do you have any "wake up" devices or events enabled in the Power Management options of your BIOS?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    http://www.aumha.org/
    go to the shutdown issues page.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

hm...

well i have an Intel PROset II Network connection card..and i went into the settings and there are "Wake-on Options" to turn on or off :
    Wake on Link Change - Disabled
    Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled
    Wake on LAA - Enabled
    Wake on ARP - Enabled
    Wake on Directed Packet - Enabled
    Wake on NBT Query - Enabled.

So, just disable the "wake on magic packet"?

Oh and the program that is running when i see the computer has turned itself on is Windows XP i guess..theres nothing going on when i take it out of hibernation except the desktop..it also says i have 'X' amount of email messages and such. As for the gamepad..i've had it disconnected and yet it still continues to boot itself up.
    Last edited by XpFxMaN; August 1st, 2002 at 19:52 PM.
    FeeL tHe eFFeX

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I would put all those wake options on "disabled".

Talking PROBLEM FIXED :)

Disabled the "Boot on PCI PME" option in the BIOS. Turns out the problem was that people were calling the number of my phone line connected to the modem..thereby the PC booting up everytime someone called it. Tested it by after disabling the PCI PME option, calling the number and the comp did not turn on.
    FeeL tHe eFFeX